This is characterized by the increased secretion of acid in the stomach that causes pain and burning sensation in the middle of chest after the intake of meal
This is commonly known as “Heartburn” or may also be known as “Acid Indigestion”.
It may be caused due to;
- Consumptions of spicy and fatty food
- Some medical conditions such as; peptic ulcers, stomach tumors, gastrointestinal reflux disease (GERD)
- Some medications such as; NSAIDs like Aspirin.
Signs and Symptoms:
- Burning in the stomach
- Burning in throat
- Sour taste
It is usually treated by the use of antacids which provide the relief from the symptoms of acidity. Others medications may include;
- Histamine blocking agents such as Cimetidine, Ranitidine, etc.
- Proton pump inhibitors such as; Omeprazole, Lansoprazole, etc.
In rare cases, surgery is may be an option which is known as vagotomy.