It is commonly known as pressure ulcer, pressure sore or bed sore.
It is characterized by an open wound on the skin, mostly developing at bony areas of the human body such as; hips ankles and back.
The main cause involves the pressure on the bony area and other reasons may involve;
- Scraping or rubbing against a hard or rough surface
- Wearing soiled clothes or undergarments for longer periods.
Signs and Symptoms
These may involve;
- skin discoloration
- pain in the affected area
- open skin wound
- skin that doesn’t lighten the touch
- softening of the skin more than the surrounding area
- Medication therapy may involve; antibacterial drugs
- Maintenance of hygiene
- Surgery is may recommended in severe cases