Book Video Consultation

Stay Home

No Waiting in lines

Audio/Video Call

PMC Verified Doctors

Talk to Psychiatry on Bipolar Disorder 2

person-avatar

Asking for Brother, Female, 27 years old, islamabad

My brother was diagnosed with bipolar 2 four years back. He was on Depakin 500mg and Abilify. 30mg daily and some depression medicine. Then slowly doctor asked us to stop depression medicine and he continued using Depakin and Abilify. But last year due to heavy dose of Abilify and Depakin he was diagnosed with diabetes then after consulting doctor we stopped depakine and reduced abilify to 15mg. Now the problem is that he is again stubborn and argu and get irritated. Although when he was taking 500mg of depakin and 30mg of abilify he was very polite, humble and caring. I wanna ask that his changed attitude is due to reduced dose of medicine or is just his nature change. If we will continue with reduced dose will his bipolar disorder get worse. Should he start taking same dose of deepakin 500mg and Abilify 30mg. Is this high dose if he again start taking bad for his diabetes. Kindly plzzzz suggest and advise.

Regards, Amna Tariq

Psychiatrist in Karachi - Assoc. Prof. Dr. Aneel Kumar Keswani

Assoc. Prof. Dr. Aneel Kumar Keswani - Psychiatrist

MBBS , FCPS (Psychiatry) | Karachi

review-stars

1406 Positive Reviews

There are many thing need to be consider in this case first patient should be on medication for bipolar affective disorder, ability is Aripiprazole antipsychotic medication, which has least effect on metabolic side effects and about Dapakan it causes increase appetite which can lead to diabetes and other metabolic effects and one more thing that patients behaviour during illness which can lead to metabolic side effects like sedentary life style, disturbed sleeping routine and no workout and it is necessary to ask about family history of medical illness like obesity and diabetes , patient should be reassessed and treatment should be reviewed thanks

Post Owner

Thanks doctor. But we are worried about his irritating nature. He started misbehaving with family and want to fight with everyone . My concern is should he start Depakin again to control his bipolar or abilify is enough to control his bipolar symptoms.
thanks

5 years ago

Psychiatrist in Lahore - Prof. Dr. Ismail Tariq

Prof. Dr. Ismail Tariq - Psychiatrist

MBBS, DPM, MCPS (PSYCHIATRY), FCPS (PSYCHIATRY) | Lahore

review-stars

322 Positive Reviews

Dr Aneel has explained the matter in a very nice way. It is the time to visit your psychiatrist and not self medicate. Bipolar is a complicated disease and patient need to visit his psychiatrist regularly as the phase of disease keeps on changing requiring reassessment and change in treatment from time to time

Psychiatrist in Lahore - Dr. Aneel Shafi

Dr. Aneel Shafi - Psychiatrist

MBBS, FCPS (Psychiatry) | Lahore

review-stars

386 Positive Reviews

Abilify if I remember correctly contains aripiprazole which doesn't significantly contributes to diabetes.I think you should his baseline fasting blood sugar checked and then start him on 10mg aripiprazole and meanwhile arrange a psychiatric consultation for him.

Post Owner

Thanks for the reply doctor. We already consulted Psychiatrist and then only we removed Deepakin and reduced the doze of Abilify to 15mg daily.
But we have noticed that from the last few months he started arguing more and also he wanna fight on small small things like why this glass is near my mobile, water will spoil my mobile. Don't wash or touch my new shirts etc. He became agressive and lost his lovely nature. My major concern is should he start taking Deepakin . How much is Deepakin Benficial for Bipolar 2 Patients.
Regards,
Amna Tariq

5 years ago

Psychiatrist in Lahore - Dr. Aneel Shafi
Dr. Aneel Shafi - Psychiatrist

MBBS, FCPS (Psychiatry) | Lahore | Book Appointment

review-stars 386 Positive Reviews

OK.in that case psychiatrist should readjust meds.depakan is helpful in bipolar and although it can cause weight gain ,it is not a big diabetes causing drug.Also there are many other options besides that.you should again visit your psychiatrist.

5 years ago

Attach Photo here:

Consult with Doctor Online

One-to-One Chat with Doctor

Don't like going to a Hospital?

Consult Online

Book Appointment

View All Categories (A-Z)

Find the Questions asked in Other Categories