Book Video Consultation

Stay Home

No Waiting in lines

Audio/Video Call

PMC Verified Doctors

Talk to Psychiatry on Drug Interaction

person-avatar

Asking for Self, Male, 26 years old, Lahore

Is it safe to take modafinil during clozapine therapy? I am suffering from cognitive dysfunction involving memory issues, brain fog and thought blocking. I have been taking clozapine for the last three months however my cognitive dysfunction is still present.

General Physician in Lahore - Dr. Kashif Ijaz Ahmed

Dr. Kashif Ijaz Ahmed - General Physician

MBBS, MRCP (UK), MRCP (E), MRGP (UK), FRSPH, CCT (UK), Family Medicine, PGDip (London), PGDip Diabetes (USW) | Lahore

review-stars

11 Positive Reviews

i guess you want to say, someone, yes.its worth to tray i think by now you are reasonable well-informed risks benefits i have sent you PIL.other possible cause for simultaneous mental health issues and brain fog could be Hypoparathyroidism so worth getting your calcium, phosphate levels checked if low get PTH levels
regards

Dr Kashif Ahmad
MBBS,MRCP(UK)
MRCP(E),MRCGP(UK) FRSPH
CCT(UK), PGDip Diabeties(Wales)
PGDip(london)

Post Owner

My PTH, T3, T4, TSH, CALCIUM , PHOSPHATE , VITAMIN B12, IRON , FOLATE LEVELS ARE NORMAL

5 years ago

MBBS, MRCP (UK), MRCP (E), MRGP (UK), FRSPH, CCT (UK), Family Medicine, PGDip (London), PGDip Diabetes (USW) | Lahore

review-stars

11 Positive Reviews

rt go ahead and try though be aware it might make your psychiatric symptoms worse as it is stimulant

Post Owner

Thanks a lot for the advice.

5 years ago

Post Owner

When and where are you available for consultation, Dr. Kashif Ijaz Ahmed? Plz reply ASAP

5 years ago

Psychiatrist in Lahore - Dr. Usman Amin Hotiana

Dr. Usman Amin Hotiana - Psychiatrist

MBBS, FCPS (Psych) | Lahore

review-stars

8 Positive Reviews

Clozpine optimization needs to be supervised to a specific dose which take care of the symptom.

Best not to start any new medication until the diagnosis is clarified . If its schizophrenia , monotherapy with clozapine should suffice.

Post Owner

I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia. I have been receiving clozapine for the last 3 months. For the last 3 weeks I was receiving clozapine at 550mg per day along with Galantamine at 12mg/day. I was told that clozapine therapy would improve my memory issues and brain fog, however, it has not improved my memory and brain fog. After some research, I have been thinking of taking modafinil at 200mg/day to improve my memory and brain fog. Is appropriate for me to take modafinil?

5 years ago

Post Owner

I have had memory issues, brain fog and thought blocking for the last 4 years. My memory issues, brain fog and thought blocking began way before intake of clozapine and galantamine. Before clozapine therapy I had three at-least-8-week-long trials of aripiprazole, ziprasidone and paliperidone. These trials did not improve my symptoms. Taking clozapine, however, only partially improved my thought blocking. It did not improve my memory issues or brain fog. Therefore, in light of my background history is it still recommended that I take a trial of modafinil. Please reply ASAP.

5 years ago

review-stars

11 Positive Reviews

hi Dear
i practice in UK and don't have practicing licence of pakistan.but i am thinking of starting visiting consults in lahore in a year time .
if you want to communicate
kashiahmad50@gmail.com
regards

Post Owner

Thanks doctor

5 years ago

Psychiatrist in Karachi - Assoc. Prof. Dr. Aneel Kumar Keswani

Assoc. Prof. Dr. Aneel Kumar Keswani - Psychiatrist

MBBS , FCPS (Psychiatry) | Karachi

review-stars

1390 Positive Reviews

See Clozapine is an antipsychotic medication to treat Resistant Schizophrenia and it has been seen the cognitive slowness in this disease I can not comment in your case because it is highly controlled during and can be prescribed by qualified psychiatrist along with blood report and about Modafinil is recommended for sleep disorder like narcolepsy it has effects on memory but I can not say in your case better to visit your treating psychiatrist to clarify or get an expert opinion thanks

Post Owner

Thanks Doctor.

5 years ago

Member of Marham-Forum

Modanifil is inducer of clozapine...so chances of clozapine in blood low...so u may increase the dose of clozapine after cosulting to psychiatrist

Post Owner

Thank you Doctor

5 years ago

Psychiatrist in Faisalabad - Dr. Nazia Tanveer

Dr. Nazia Tanveer - Psychiatrist

MBBS , MCPS (PSYCHIATRY) , FCPS (PSYCHIATRY) | Faisalabad

review-stars

35 Positive Reviews

why you are using clozapine and modafinil at first place

Attach Photo here:

Consult with Doctor Online

One-to-One Chat with Doctor