Book Video Consultation

Stay Home

No Waiting in lines

Audio/Video Call

PMC Verified Doctors

Talk to Psychiatry on Diffuse Axonal Brain Injury

person-avatar

Asking for Sister, Female, 28 years old, Karachi

My sister had an accident in December 2015 after which she was in coma for a month. She was completely on bed even after gaining consciousness for which her physiotherapy was done daily. In july 2016 she visited india and stayed at a rehabilitation centre for 2 months. Now my concern is everything else is fine but her mental condition is not that of a normal person. Her behaviour has changed. She gets aggressive at times. I dont know how should i put it but she has become very child like. She is also taking anti depressant medicines suggested by a psychiatrist. Kindly suggest if we should go for some therapies for her or not. Preferably in Dubai or Karach. Thank you

Member of Marham-Forum

Your sister is a fighter indeed. Sorry to hear about what she went through and I can only imagine the amount of stress/distress felt by the family.
Accident and trauma related brain injuries can cause damage to our brain both by directly affecting a brain part or by causing diffuse damage. many people are reported to undergo significant personality changes , altered mental status and deterioration in intellect and IQ after such injuries which may or maynot be reversible.
It becomes difficult to manage them due to these personality changes, anger outbursts, mood labilities, sleep issues etc. I will strongly suggest if detailed evaluation can be done by a qualified psychiatrist to assess need for further medications (not just antidepressants which she is on, but meds to control aggression and mood lability too). The psychiatrist can then refer her to a psychologist if need felt but since there is an issue with IQ and comprehension, therapy alone may not be as effective.
my recommendation will be Dr Qurat ul ain khan who is a psychiatrist at AKU(agakhan). she has done her subspecialization training from USA in behavioral neurology and is an expert of behavioral issues due to brain injuries/brain degeneration. she will guide you better for sure. her appointment can be taken from psychiatry clinic at AKU and her email id is qurat.khan@aku.edu.
stay blessed :)

Post Owner

Thank you so much for your reply.

6 years ago

Member of Marham-Forum

Sorry to hear about your sister.

Life changing traumatic incidents lead to depression, which needs careful monitoring as suicidal ideation is common.

She needs to be in touch with a psychiatrist on regular basis - online consults are also an option. Feel free to contact me

Www.facebook.com/DrHasanAman<http://Www.facebook.com/DrHasanAman>

Hasan Aman

Post Owner

Thank you so much for your reply

6 years ago

Psychiatrist in Lahore - Asst. Prof. Dr. Naeem Aftab

Asst. Prof. Dr. Naeem Aftab - Psychiatrist

MBBS, Diplomate (American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology) | Lahore

review-stars

457 Positive Reviews

Your sister had brain trauma causing personality change due coma.You can continue her medications for symptom relief aggression etc.She also need cognitive behavioral and supportive therapy which will focus on her daily activities and desired behaviors.

Post Owner

Thank you so much for your reply

6 years ago

Psychologist in Lahore - Dr. Sobia Ikram

Dr. Sobia Ikram - Psychologist

MS (Clinical and Counseling Psychology) , CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy), PhD Clinical Psychology, ICAP1 | Lahore

review-stars

32 Positive Reviews

You need to visit neuropsychologist .
Dr Nausheen Shehzad is finest one in karachi you can google her contact
details.

Attach Photo here:

Consult with Doctor Online

One-to-One Chat with Doctor

Don't like going to a Hospital?

Consult Online

Book Appointment

View All Categories (A-Z)