Book Video Consultation

Stay Home

No Waiting in lines

Audio/Video Call

PMC Verified Doctors

Talk to Neuro Physician on Epilepsy

person-avatar

Asking for Brother, Male, 20 years old, karachi

my younger brother had a colostomy surgery in 2011 since then he is facing severe epilepsy problem. he is taking epival 250 mg twice daily but problem still there. he has some intestinal issues for which he has to go through anesthesia almost every six months. after anesthesia he has severe attack of epilepsy.

Neuro Surgeon in Peshawar - Dr. Gohar Ali

Well there is no such direct connection of colostomy with epilipsey however things happens.. epival 250 mg is quite low dose for a 20 yrs old male..u should increase the dose to 500 mg twice daily 12hourly. It wil solve the problem IA.
Regards

Post Owner

a doctor checked epival level in his blood then given 250 mg twice. i want to know can i increase his dose now? and he doesn't sleep at night. taking rivotril 0.5 mg but still doesn't sleep. u said there isno connection with colostomy but he has to go through anesthesia after that he faces severe attacks. what's the reason for that? kindly tell me epival dose again and also a medicine in replacement of rivotril.

6 years ago

Neuro Surgeon in Peshawar - Dr. Gohar Ali

If the fits are not controlled forget about the blood levels.. give 500 mg 12 hourly.. u can safely switch to tab Lerace (leviteracetam) 500 mg 12 hourly with less side effects. Continue revotril at night..meanwhile try alp .5 mg at night for sleep

6 years ago

Post Owner

i forgot to mention.. previous doctors say he is a cp child.. therefore doses should be given very carefully. is alp suitable for him? before colostomy he didn't had fits problem like now.

6 years ago

Member of Marham-Forum

here is his MRI report..

Neuro Surgeon in Karachi - Dr. Faizyab Ahmed

Dr. Faizyab Ahmed - Neuro Surgeon

MBBS, FCPS (NeuroSurgery) | Karachi

review-stars

30 Positive Reviews

MRI brain with contrast should be done

Post Owner

i didn't get your point mri in contrast means?

6 years ago

Neuro Surgeon in Faisalabad - Dr. Muhammad Abdur Rehman

Dr. Muhammad Abdur Rehman - Neuro Surgeon

| MBBS | FCPS (Neuro Surgery) | MRCS | | Faisalabad

review-stars

56 Positive Reviews

if these epileptic fits only occur during aneasthesia he must take some stress done durin ths anaesthesia , otherwise if such episodes also occur in between he must have to increase the dose as he is already taking vsey low dose of epival 

Post Owner

he is a cp child.. so can i increase his dose?

6 years ago

Post Owner

when given anesthesia he faces severe attack of fits.. but normally he has almost one in a month sometimes severe sometimes not.. he is taking vit D Also..

6 years ago

Member of Marham-Forum

Dear
Seizures can be control
But he is not on proper medication

Post Owner

what u suggest about his medicines? he was born premature. i think now at the age of 20 his brain health is at 18 years of age.. and anesthesia given every six months is not good for him you know. but he has to through this. i want his fits to be controlled properly and also his brain health must be good enough to tolerate this anesthesia.

6 years ago

Attach Photo here:

Consult with Doctor Online

One-to-One Chat with Doctor

Don't like going to a Hospital?

Consult Online

Book Appointment

View All Categories (A-Z)

Find the Questions asked in Other Categories