Book Video Consultation

Stay Home

No Waiting in lines

Audio/Video Call

PMC Verified Doctors

Talk to Neuro Surgeon on CSF Rhinorrhea

person-avatar

Asking for Self, Female, 35 years old, Islamabad

Dear dr, i was diagnosed with Spontaneous CSF Rhinorrhea in jan 2018 and was operated (duraplasty) by head of neurosurgery at shifa intl on 13th feb 2018.After that the leak from nose didnt occur frequently (i mean it did happen even after one month of surgery but just one or 2 drops once a month). Now since last 2 weeks i am again having frequent leaks/drops of clear fluid from my right nostril . I have consulted by neurosurgeon thrice but unfortunately he doesnt seem to take it seriously. I am concerned and need expert advice as what should i do? R there any chances of recurrence of spontaneous csf leak? Please guide me and tell me a way forward that what i should do? Regards.

Neuro Surgeon in Karachi - Dr. Aurangzeb Abbassi

Dr. Aurangzeb Abbassi - Neuro Surgeon

MBBS, FCPS (Neuro Surgery) | Karachi

review-stars

106 Positive Reviews

Well , Spontaneous csf rhinorrhea always require surgeryBut some time patient do have recurrence again. This can happen to anyvoneIntially for 3weeks conserative measure are taken , if not improved in such time span  than we offer resurgery.kindly contact me on cell number for further history and medication.                           Thank you                                                                  DrAurangzeb                   Assistant Professor neurosurgery                                 JMDC ,karachi            

Post Owner

Dear sir, thankyou for your time and response. Yes i was operated (cranioyomy n durapalaty was done). I took care of all precautions and measured that my neurosurgeon told me. I even had my meningitis vaccination done on 29th jan 2018 (vaccine pneumo23 .5ml, 1 unit intra muscualrly STAT) it was suggested by neurologist who further referred me to neurosurgery. There, after MRI and CT scan my craniotomy was done on 13th feb 2018. I was discharged from hospital after 8 days i guess. (Medicines given were epicetum 500 mg twice a day, nezkil 600mg twice a day, medigesic forte thrice a day, tab soft 10mg once a day and syrup fibro twice a day, these were advised for 14 days). However its been 5 months to surgery and due to fits i had (as per my family's observation) i m still on epicetum 500 mg twice day.
Sir, i am islamabad and cant come to karachi. I have 2 little daughters and i am concerned about my health. I m careful enough that i still offer namaz in sitting position on chair and dont bow down on floor. In my most recent visit, my neurosurgeon asked me to have AZM(acetazolamide) because he says the again leak might have something to do with my intrcranial pressure. I m Extremely afraid on resurgery. Sir, from where i can get your contact number? However, i have location constraint..i mean coming to karachi for check up is beyond my circumstances. Please guide.
Kind regards

5 years ago

Member of Marham-Forum

Dear Marham Pt,
It v unfortunate dat ur problem recur after surgery.
U didnt mention intially it was repaired through nose or open surgery.

Post Owner

yes u r right sir, i forgot to mention in my initial post that the procedure done was craniotomy(my neurosurgeon told me i had defect in right side cribriform plate). My head scalp is still numb and uncomfortable due to surgery. I humbly need to know please, about this fluid leakages i am having again .... is it the recurrence of csf rhinorrhea or has it got something to do with some intracranial pressures? Thankyou
Kind regards.

5 years ago

Member of Marham-Forum

Dear Doctors,
Below is my recent MRI's conclusion remarks/Impression. I shall be obliged and very thankful if u plz give 5 min and tell me in layman language what it says. This MRI Brain (with contrast) was done on 27th July 2018. Thankyou
"Status post surgery with right frontal craniotomy creating defects in the bony walls of right frontal sinus. Lobulated mucosal thickening in frontal and ethmoid sinuses. Subtle slightly enhancing edema signal in right anterior basi-frontal cortex perhaps represent suquelae of surgical intervention. Enhancement of slightly irregular focal signal abnormality in right basi-frontal region at fronto-ethmoidal junction, most likely representing repair of site of past csf leakage. There however is persistant T2 bright signal communicating between the frontal subarachnoid space and ethmoid sinuses at surgical site, and may represent surgery related edema or persistant site of csf rhinorrhea. This needs confirmation by clinical correlation as well as analysis of fluid obtained from right nostril."

Member of Marham-Forum

Salam Sir my nephew is in serious condition and Dr advised us CSP but we are not willing for this treatment is there any other way to diagnose the problem , his weight was 10 kg and he is 9 month baba ... And he is behaving like not in his senses ... Not reacting on our voices and not having any food like cerelacs and milk etc ... Plz sir guide us what to do ????

Member of Marham-Forum

Sorry sir it was CSF test not CSP ... That was typing mistake

Member of Marham-Forum

I am forwarding the Medical report of my father who is be diagnosis of Trigeminal Neuralgia Adopted. I Kindly request you to go through the report toughly.

One of the recommendation by the Hospital is to perform the following treatment

? Pain Clinic consultation for Trigeminal ganglion phenol or alcohol block or radio frequency ablation.

I want to know whether the above mentioned treatment is available in well renowned Hospital.

Awaiting you immediate and prompt reply to proceed for the urgent treatment.

Thanks & regards

Attach Photo here:

Consult with Doctor Online

One-to-One Chat with Doctor

Don't like going to a Hospital?

Consult Online

Book Appointment

View All Categories (A-Z)

Find the Questions asked in Other Categories