Table of Content
Epidural anesthesia is by far the most popular method of pain relief during labor. It is injected into the epidural space which is the space around the tough coverings that protects the spinal cord. Epidural anesthesia immobilizes the lower part of the recipient’s body and provides effective pain relief. Epidural is used by more than 50% of women giving birth at hospitals.
Epidurals are basically safe, only a few experienced any complications. If there are benefits of epidurals then there are side effects as well. Let’s take a look at both:
Benefits Of Epidural:
- Epidural allows you rest without feeling intense pain if your labor is prolonged.
- It reduces the discomfort of childbirth, due to which some women don’t feel pain at all and have more positive birth experience. to find and consult the best gynecologist in Islamabad, Lahore or any other main city of Pakistan visit marham.pk.
- It helps you to be a more alert and an active participant in your childbirth experience.
- C- section is more severe than normal delivery. If you deliver by c-section, an epidural allows you to stay awake and also reduce pain during recovery. You can locate the best obstetrician in Karachi, Lahore or any other main city of Pakistan via marham.pk.
- Epidural help you to get rest and relax. It helps in dealing with irritability and exhaustion.
- It provides strength to your body and makes you more active.
Risks Of Epidural:
- There is a risk of dropping your blood pressure due to an epidural.
- You may need to be treated with immediate oxygen, fluids, and medications, in case, your blood pressure drops due to an epidural.
- Epidural might cause leakage of spinal fluid, due to which you may experience a severe headache. It is essential to get it administered under the supervision of an expert anesthetist. You can find the best anesthetist in Karachi, Lahore or other main cities of Pakistan via marham.pk.
- Shivering and ringing of the ears is one of the possible side effects of epidural.
- Epidural makes pushing more difficult.
- Due to an epidural, for few hours after delivery, you may feel numbness in lower half of your body.
- In rare cases, epidural may cause permanent nerve damage in the area where it was injected.
Epidural is a highly effective form of pain relief during labor but some experts suggest that it should not be used routinely and one should not interfere in natural birth process and bonding between mother and baby.