A Gynecologic oncologist is an obstetrician/gynecologist who is trained and have good skills in the diagnosis and treatment of women with the reproductive organ cancer specifically cancer of the ovary, endometrium, uterus, cervix, vagina, vulva. They are also able to treat trophoblastic disease.
Gynecologic oncologists are unique in their professional skills among surgical oncologists as they are trained to provide special comprehensive and multi-disciplinary care. Gynecological oncologists in Lahore are also trained in administering chemotherapy.
Gynecologic oncologists are able to provide an outstanding and efficient degree of continuity of care and treatment of cancer to the suffering community as they provide an extraordinary blend of:
- Accurate diagnosis
- Surgical skill
- Radiation therapy
- Advanced chemotherapy
- Compassionate care
To be a gynecologic oncologist is a job of great responsibilities. A gynecologic oncologist is responsible to diagnose and treat special reproductive organ cancer of female. But more of it gynecologic oncologist should do serious efforts to aware the female about these cancers and advise effective preventive cares to them as prevention is always better than cure.
To make the people safe it is best always to make the people aware of the facts and reasons for the disease. It is also required that people must know about the preventive measures which can help to protect against the onset of disease. Following little acts can help to avoid the onset of reproductive organ cancer.
- Physical activity and regular exercise
- A healthy diet including fruits and vegetables
- Avoid consumption of junk and fast food
- Fewer consumptions of fats
- Avoid consumption of alcohol and tobacco
- Avoid exposure to ultraviolet light
- Maintain a healthy body weight
- Regular checkups to a gynecological oncologist
Complete and appropriate diagnosis is necessary for the proper management of cancer in female reproductive organs. Following tests may help to make a good diagnosis
- Abdominal-pelvic examination.
- Transvaginal ultrasound
- Blood tests/CA-125 assay
- Computed tomography (CT) scan
- Positron emission tomography (PET) or PET-CT scan
- Lower gastrointestinal (GI) series
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
A good gynecological oncologist should consider following factors to choose a diagnostic test.
- The type of cancer
- signs and symptoms of the patient
- age and medical condition of the patient
- The results of earlier medical tests
Management of reproductive organ cancer is really very sensitive in nature and requires extreme efficiency and care as these organs are related to patients sexual life and future offspring. So a good consultant should take care following factors before recommending the treatment method:
- Age of the patient
- The severity of the cancer
- The general health condition of the patient
And when properly decided following treatment methods may be used to get rid of cancer.
- Radiation therapy
Following types of surgery can be done:
In this surgical removal of the ovaries and fallopian tubes is done.
This surgery is based on the removal of the uterus and some surrounding tissue if they are infected.
Lymphadenectomy (lymph node dissection)
In this surgery lymph nodes in the pelvis and paraaortic areas are removed.
This surgical method used to remove the thin tissue that covers the stomach and large intestine.
The goal of this surgery is to remove as much tumor as is safely possible around the organs.
Latest posts by Tayyaba Waris (see all)
- 4 Reasons to Leave the Shoes at your Door Step - July 15, 2018
- Novel Treatment Options For 3 Serious Prostate Diseases - May 3, 2018
- 5 Everyday Habits to Cut Down Hospital Expenditures - March 2, 2018