The liver is one of the largest and vital internal organs in the human body. One of the major functions of the liver is to filter the blood that comes from the digestive tract. It’s a protein-making organ that helps the blood to clot. Therefore, a problem in the liver can disrupt the life of a human.
A person who suffers from liver disease can get hepatitis, liver transplant or even cancer.
Common Symptoms of Liver Dysfunction:
Some common symptoms of liver disease are mentioned below:
- Pain in the abdominal area
- Extreme and persistent fatigue
- Bleeding can incur
- Extreme weight loss
LFTs- Liver Function Tests:
In order to determine the state and condition of a person’s liver, there are a group of blood tests that are done. These tests determine the health of a liver by calculating the level of protein and liver enzymes present in the human body.
Now a question arises when is the right time to get your liver tested? Following are some mentioned times when doctors recommend liver test
- If a woman is planning to conceive or even when she is pregnant. To know more about which tests are necessary during pregnancy to consult with the best gynecologist in Karachi, Lahore or any other main city of Pakistan via Marham.pk.
- To test infection in the liver such as for diagnosis of Hepatitis C
- To check any hazardous impact of a medicine on a liver
- To verify any inflammation in the liver
- To check the scarring of the liver
- Or when a person is facing symptoms of a liver disease
Based on the need for a patient the doctor can recommend various tests. Book an appointment with the best hepatologist in Karachi, Lahore or other main cities of Pakistan via Marham.pk.
There are quite a lot of tests that can be performed on the liver but most common ones are Alanine transaminase (ALT), Aspartate aminotransferase (AST) both of the tests are done to measure the level of enzymes that liver produces in case of damage or disease.
Other tests such as ALP, Alkaline phosphatase (ALP) can help indicate the blockage of bile ducts, whereas Bilirubin Test is also done on the patient to get information about how are red blood cells broken down in the liver.
What Does LFTs Depict:
Once the doctor recommends you to get a liver function test done, liver function test will depict the following things:
- A person will get to know if any contaminant is present in his blood
- Either body is storing nutrients properly or not
- Regulation of blood clotting can be known
- Whether the liver is producing bile, proteins, and enzymes properly
- Whether the liver is producing antibodies or not.
Having a healthy liver ensures a healthy mind and body. A dysfunctional liver can disrupt the life of a person as blood purification stops if the liver is not in good condition. It is always better to consult a doctor if any of the above-mentioned signs and symptoms are present in your body.