The two bean-shaped kidneys, located on either side in the back of the abdominal cavity, are the natural filters of our body. Being only 10 to 11 centimeters in length, they remove excess water and wastes from our body.
Due to consuming junk and low-quality food excessively, inadequate water intake, self-medication and frequent use of medicine, obesity, hypertension, diabetes, and kidney stones, the rate of kidney failure (renal failure) have increased greatly. In Pakistan, about 20,000 patients die of kidney failure every year. Globally, about 600 million people have some form of kidney damage. To manage your kidney health and keep these working adequately find and consult with the best nephrologist in Karachi, Lahore or any other main city of Pakistan via Marham.pk.
People suffering from renal failure require dialysis which helps them to live productive lives. But just receiving dialysis is not enough. Patients must follow a diet plan that helps them to control certain nutrient levels in the blood. You can find and consult with the best nutritionist in Karachi, Lahore or any other main city to get yourself a diet plan that is tailored to your needs and condition.
See Also: 5 Best Nephrologists in Lahore
Maintaining levels of sodium, potassium, phosphorus, protein, and fluids in food is important while on dialysis.
1. Consuming Low-Sodium Foods:
Sodium is widely used as a preservative. Canned and pre-packaged food items have high sodium level in them.
More than 2,000 milligrams of sodium is not recommended during dialysis. Patients should:
- Use fresh herbs and spices in their meals.
- Select fresh meat, fruits, and vegetables.
- Eat salt-free or low-sodium snacks.
2. Low Potassium Intake:
Foods that have a high content of potassium in them, for example, grains, cereals, bread, and vegetables and fruits should be eaten with care. Low potassium suggestions include:
- White bread
- Fresh broccoli
- Carrots and cucumbers
3. Monitoring Phosphorus Levels:
While on dialysis,phosphorus-rich foods should be eaten less. Meat, milk and dairy products, whole grains, and cola have high levels of phosphorus.
- Dairy products should be limited to one serving per day.
- Whole grains should be replaced by white starches.
- Instead of dark colas, lime sodas are a good alternative to reduce phosphorus intake.
4. Eating Adequate Protein:
Replenishing protein content of your body is important during dialysis. Good protein sources are:
- Kidney beans
5. Adequate Fluid Intake:
It’s critical to always keep yourself hydrated with suitable fluids recommended by your doctor during dialysis. Grape and apple juices are a good choice to include in your kidney-friendly diet.
Few Most Popular Nephrologists:
Latest posts by Noorul Huda (see all)
- 5 Useful Tips For Heart Patients To Follow During Ramadan - May 30, 2019
- 5 Effective Tips To Prevent Headaches And Migraines During Ramadan - May 30, 2019
- Everything You Need To Know About Caffeine: Sources And Advantages. - September 17, 2018