Pakistan is known for its collectivism. Unlike other individualistic societies, we share a very close-knitted bond with our older generations. Word “Depression” is still considered a taboo in our society. We often relate happiness of our elders to how well they are financially stable, how good is their living standard etc but we forget that maybe the reason behind their solitude, loneliness, anger is because of depression.
Depression is a serious mental illness and it definitely needs to be treated. In our society, the crankiness or uncertain behavior of older people is not taken seriously and often termed as “It’s due to their age” which is absolutely wrong. In order to make sure that our elders are not facing depression, we need to identify common signs that indicate depression. Also, a regular session with the best psychologist in Karachi, Lahore or any other main city of Pakistan might be required. Marham can help you book an appointment with the best psychologists in Pakistan. You can also go for an online consultation.
If any of the below-mentioned symptoms last for more than 2-3 weeks then a person might be facing depression and needs help:
- The person prefers loneliness and Solitude
- Change in eating behavior
- Consistently in anger mood
- Loss of interest in daily chores
- A feeling of guilt and hopelessness
- A sudden loss of weight
- Ache and pain in the body that doesn’t go away despite treatment
- Talking about death all the time or attempt to suicide
How to Manage with Depressed Elders of Family?
All of the above-mentioned symptoms could be a cause of depression; in order to make sure that our pillars (elderly people) don’t fall sick because of depression we need to make sure that we give time to them. Depression is highly curable, Depressed people need our attention and time.
There are a lot of measures that can be taken to get older people out of depression:
- Listen/Talk to them
- Spend time with them
- Take them out for a walk
- Tell them to exercise
- Give them a balanced diet. Find and consult with the best nutritionist in Karachi, Lahore or other cities of Pakistan via Marham.pk and get a customized diet plan to suit their individual needs.
- Try to lift their mood by doing an activity of their choice.
All of the above-mentioned things can help lift the mood of older people and suppress depression. However, it is not a permanent solution to their depression. In case of severe depression, “Talk therapy” is recommended by psychologists. They recommend sessions of counseling to the older people. Moreover, there are antidepressants available for the treatment of depression as well.
Despite all the above-mentioned things, don’t forget to give them time to make them happy! Time is all they want.
Few Most Popular Psychologists:
Latest posts by Amina Hameed (see all)
- 5 Incredible Benefits Of Omega-3 On Health - September 25, 2018
- Not All Fats Are Bad, Try Healthy-Fat To Boost Health - September 23, 2018
- Top Five Reasons Of Premature Graying Of Hair - September 23, 2018