Diarrhea in kids is a very common health issue that had been making the life of parents difficult. Severe diarrhea can lead to a life-threatening situation for kids and adults as well. Diarrhea occurs when a person passes loose stools at least thrice a day. It can lead to serious problems such as a dehydration, headache, vomit, fatigue, fever etc.
Usually, a person gets stable after taking medication, if not and diarrhea continues for more than two days it becomes a serious health concern. Severe diarrhea can lead to Dehydration. Dehydration in Children and Older people is of serious concern because for them it can become life-threatening.
What Causes Diarrhea?
Diarrhea can occur because of following reasons:
- Food Poisoning
- Bacterial Infection
- Viral Infection- Book an appointment with the best infectious disease specialist in Lahore, Karachi or any other main city of Pakistan via marham.pk.
- Intolerance to certain medication
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
When To Call a Doctor?
If a patient recovers within two days of Diarrhea, It is not considered dangerous. Prolonged Diarrhea can be troublesome and a doctor should be contacted immediately. Following are few signs that indicate that Doctor should be called:
- Diarrhea for more than 3 days
- Severe pain in the abdomen
- Acute pain in Rectum
- Blood or mucus in stool
- Puss in stool
- High temperature (Greater than 102 degrees)
- Dryness of mouth
- Dark colored Urine
- Dry, Patchy skin
All of the above-mentioned signs are the indicators to see the doctor in case of acute diarrhea.
There are certain precautionary measures that can be taken in case of a serious problem:
- Avoid tap water or water from open sources
- Stay away from milk that is not boiled or unpasteurized
- Avoid raw fruits and vegetables
- Don’t eat raw fish or uncooked meat
- Avoid eating food from Vendors
- Consumer sealed water bottle
- Always take prescribe antibiotics along while traveling