Our body is working with a proper system. Every organ is playing equal role. Even a slight inflammation in one organ can disrupt its whole function. Our body is a miraculous creation of Allah Almighty and we should be grateful to him for this blessing. Today we are about to talk about a small gland that plays a vital role in our body and will discuss how even an inflammation in it can cause huge trouble for you.
The pancreas is a gland present in our body which resides in our stomach and mainly performs two basic functions such as:
- It aids digestion by releasing powerful enzymes in our small intestine
- It releases hormones such as insulin and glucagon in our bloodstream which directs the body to utilize food for energy.
What is Acute Pancreatitis?
Pancreatitis is a condition in which the Pancreas becomes inflamed. It happens when the enzymes released by the pancreas gets activated before entering the small intestine hence attack the pancreas.
Acute Pancreatitis is a temporary condition in which a sudden inflammation occurs that lasts for a short period of time. It can be mild but if its severity increases it can become life-threatening. So if you feel any discomfort near the area of your stomach rush to the gastroenterologist for proper treatment.
What are the causes of Acute Pancreatitis?
Reasons for Acute pancreatitis can be numerous. Here are some of them that we need to know.
- Drinking Alcohol
- Presence of excess amount of Calcium in the blood
- Damaged caused to the pancreas while surgery or endoscopy
- Injury to the pancreas caused by an accident
- Penetrating injury
- Blockage of the ducts present in the pancreas
- Cancer of the Pancreas
- Presence of cyst; Cystic fibrosis
- Kidney transplantation
- Excess smoking
Is it treatable?
Treatment can give cure if done on right time. However, in extreme cases, it can result in bleeding into the gland, acute damage of tissue, chronic infection or cyst formation. It needs the attention of a gastroenterologist so that it doesn’t get to harm your vital organs such as Heart, Lungs, and Kidneys.
How can it be treated?
If a patient has mild acute Pancreatitis they are treated by giving fluids through veins and are often given painkillers to lessen the pain intensity. In addition to it, a patient is made to fast to help pancreas to rest. A soft, low-fat diet can be given if there is no nausea.
However, if a patient has a moderate level of acute pancreatitis a person needs to be hospitalized for a longer period where fluids are given through veins. Intake of food is stopped altogether antibiotics are given in case of infection.
In the case of severe level of acute pancreatitis attack pancreatic tissue may die. Hence surgery may be required to remove damaged or dead tissue to save oneself from chronic infections.
Whatever is the case Gastroenterologist needs to be consulted.
Few Most Popular Gastroenterologist:
Latest posts by Amina Hameed (see all)
- 5 Incredible Benefits Of Omega-3 On Health - September 25, 2018
- Not All Fats Are Bad, Try Healthy-Fat To Boost Health - September 23, 2018
- Top Five Reasons Of Premature Graying Of Hair - September 23, 2018