Apple cider vinegar is made using fermented apples. Apple cider vinegar is known to help you lose weight as it decreases your appetite. This prevents your intake of a high-caloric diet that supports weight loss.
- Apple cider vinegar aids in weight loss by reducing appetite and the body’s insulin resistance when consumed in moderation.
- Apple cider vinegar to lose weight can be added to the diet after dilution with water or as a salad dressing.
What is Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar is made with fermented apples that are treated with yeast. This is known for a long to reduce heartburn and acidity. Apple cider vinegar is known to reduce blood glucose levels, cholesterol, and varicose veins.
Apple cider vinegar to lose weight
Apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid. A study in rats found that those given acetic acid were less likely to build up body fat. Apple cider vinegar in small amounts aids in weight loss as the acetic acid in it burns the belly fat.
Some of the other benefits of apple cider vinegar contributing to reduced body weight include;
Apple cider vinegar suppresses the appetite
Apple cider vinegar works by reducing the appetite. This is done by increasing the transit time of the food from the stomach.
- Delayed gastric emptying reduces your urge to eat which results in reducing significant pounds.
- Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is also known to suppress the production of the ghrelin hormone. This aids in reducing appetite.
- Taste aversion has also been reported with the addition of apple cider vinegar to the diet. This altered taste reduces the urge to eat in general or to eat specific foods.
Also read: Apple cider vinegar benefits
Apple cider vinegar reduces caloric intake
Since apple cider vinegar reduces appetite, it imparts a sense of fullness. This reduces the urge to eat heavy meals rich in calories.
- ACV increases insulin senstivity which helps in reducing visceral fats by limiting the number of calories consumed.
- When taken with meals, apple cider vinegar reduce the hunger level and results in the consumption of fewer calories.
Also read: Apple cider vinegar for skin whitening
Reduce cholesterol levels with Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar reduces the bad cholesterol level in the body which indirectly aids weight loss.
- Reduced bad cholesterol levels prevent various illnesses that can result in weight gain including fatty liver, and various cardiovascular risks.
- Reduced cholesterol levels due to apple cider vinegar prevent inflammation. It is studied that inflammation disturbs the balance of the body resulting in fatty liver disease and increased blood glucose levels. This causes weight gain.
- Bad cholesterol or LDL in the body is directly linked to insulin resistance. Increased cholesterol results in increased insulin resistance and thus diabetes. Hence, apple cider vinegar regulates blood cholesterol deposits which thus helps in reducing weight.
Caution: Apple cider vinegar can interact with some medications, and it may not be suitable for everyone.
Click here to book an Online Appointment with the Best Dietitians to know if Apple cider vinegar suits your body type.
How do you use Apple cider vinegar for weight loss?
The recommendations to add apple cider vinegar to the diet includes;
- Drink after dilution: Drink the vinegar strictly after dilution with water or green tea. Diluting apple cider vinegar reduces the risks of side effects. You can also sweeten it with honey or cinnamon.
- Add to Dressings: Apple cider vinegar can be added to salad dressings, sauces, and soups. To prevent a blood sugar surge, take apple cider vinegar before a sugary meal or sprinkle it on sugary foods like potato chips or fries.
How much apple cider vinegar should you drink to lose weight?
The recommended consumption amount of apple cider vinegar per day for weight loss ranges between 1-2 Tbsp (5-10 ml) per day.
- Try to divide the recommended amounts into 2-3 daily doses.
- Avoid taking more than 5 ml of apple cider vinegar at a time as it can cause nausea and vomiting.
- When consumed in moderation, apple cider vinegar is considered safe. Larger amounts may be linked to low potassium levels, which have been observed to fall dangerously low, however, this is uncommon.
- Avoid exceeding the recommended amounts as it causes erosion of teeth enamel and throat burn.
Warning: Avoid using apple cider vinegar if you are diagnosed with low potassium levels.
The Apple cider vinegar diet is considered to detoxify the body and also aid in weight loss. When consumed in moderation, vinegar reduces hunger levels and limits calorie intake. This helps in burning belly fat. However, the research limits the excessive consumption of vinegar for weight loss.
Consult with a Nutritionist to get an apple cider vinegar diet plan for weight loss considering your health conditon.
1. How much weight can you lose by drinking apple cider vinegar?
One study found that taking one or two teaspoons (15 or 30 ml) of apple cider vinegar daily for three months helped overweight persons lose an average of 2.6 to 3.7 pounds (1.2 to 1.7 kg).
2. How fast does apple cider vinegar help lose weight?
According to a study published in the Journal of Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry, using Apple Cider Vinegar for three months (or 12 weeks) can result in significant weight loss.
3. Can you drink apple cider vinegar daily?
Daily consumption of less than 10 ml of apple cider vinegar helps burn belly fat and reduce weight fast. However, if you have acidity or any other medical condition, consult a doctor before including vinegar in the diet.