Azomax is a broad-spectrum antibiotic used to treat respiratory, urinary, skin, or other bacterial infections. Azomax contains azithromycin as its active ingredient and is an FDA-approved prescription drug. Azomax belongs to macrolide antibiotics which inhibit bacterial growth.
Manufactured by: Novartis Pharma
Drug class: Macrolide Antibiotic
Product form: Oral capsule
Mechanism of Action of Azithromycin
Azithromycin stops bacterial growth and multiplication by inhibiting protein synthesis. It binds to the ribosomal subunit to interfere with the synthesis of proteins. This help prevent and treat various bacterial infections
Azomax cap 250 mg
Azomax cap 500 mg
What is Azomax Cap Price in Pakistan?
Azomax cap price ranges between 65-67 PKR/capsule. Azomax cost can vary depending on the manufacturer and the strength of the capsule.
What is Azomax Cap Used for?
Azomax capsule is used for;
Chronic Bronchitis: Azomax is indicated for the treatment of acute bacterial exacerbations of chronic bronchitis in adults. It is also used in chronic obstructive lung disease patients who also have chronic bronchitis.
Bacterial Sinusitis: Azithromycin is indicated in sinusitis caused by bacteria. It results in faster resolution of sinusitis signs and symptoms.
Community-acquired pneumonia: Azomax is used in community-acquired pneumonia caused by various organisms including H.influenza, Mycoplasma pneumonia, and some other bacteria. It can be used safely in both pediatric and adult patients.
Phyringitis: Azomax cap is a second-line drug therapy for treating pharyngitis, sore throat, and other respiratory conditions. It works by inhibiting the growth of bacteria in bacterial respiratory infections.
Also read: How to treat cough in children?
Skin infections: Azomax is a macrolide antibiotic that is indicated for the treatment of acute skin infections in adults. It is prescribed for acne, acne scars, pimples, and many other skin conditions.
Genital ulcer: Azomax treats genital ulcers caused by Haemophilus ducreyi bacteria in males. It is used for the treatment of sexually transmitted bacterial diseases. A single oral dose of Azomax is generally prescribed for Genital ulcer disease.
Urethritis: Urethritis caused by Azithromycin-sensitive bacteria is treated by Azomax macrolide. Azomax capsule can result in the development of bacterial resistance. Hence, it should be used with caution.
To reduce the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, Azithromycin should strongly be used for the treatment of infections that are proven or strongly suspected to be caused by susceptible bacteria.
How to take Azomax?
The general instructions regarding the use of Azomax antibiotic are;
- Take the Azomax cap as a whole with water.
- Do not crush or chew the capsule.
- Take it with or without food.
- The dose of Azomax capsule depends on the condition it is treating.
- The pediatric dose is calculated based on body weight.
- For maximum benefits, take the medicine at evenly-spaced times.
- For once daily dose, take the medicine at the same time each day to optimize the therapeutic activity.
- Do not take antacids before at least two hours of taking Azithromycin. This is because antacids can slow down Azithromycin’s absorption.
What is Azomax dosage?
The dosage and dosing schedule for the Azomax capsules varies according to the condition it treats. The usual dose of Azomac cap is;
- 500 mg Azomax once daily or
- 250 mg Azomax twice a day
What are Azomax cap side effects?
Common side effects reported due to Azomax capsule are;
- Nausea and Vomiting
- QT-interval prolongation
- Allergic reactions
- Worsening of Myasthenia gravis
Serious side effects include;
- Eye problems
- Hearing abnormalities
- Dizziness and fainting
Get help immediately from a qualified doctor if you experience any of these side effects
What are the warnings associated with Azomax cap?
- Azomax is contraindicated in people who have known hypersensitivity to Azithromycin.
- Azithromycin should be avoided in people with jaundice or any other hepatic disease.
- Use the antibiotic with caution in cystitis fibrosis patients.
- The medicine needs special consideration in people with renal impairment.
- Azithromycin can cause QT-interval prolongation. Hence, it should be used with caution in heart patients.
- Report all the conditions you have to your doctor before using Azomax capsule for bacterial infections.
Read Also: Cyrocin Tablet uses
Does Azomax react with medicines?
Some of the drugs interacting with Azomax are;
Tell your doctor about all the prescription, OTC, and herbal medicines you are taking to avoid serious adverse drug reactions and interactions.
Is Azomax safe during Pregnancy?
Azomax antibiotic is placed in pregnancy category B. It has shown no harmful effects on fetuses when studied in animal models. It is safe to use in pregnant humans. Azomax is also safe for lactating women as no considerable evidence indicates its secretion in breast milk.
It is recommended to consult a gynecologist before using Azomax while pregnant.
What are the alternatives to Azomax?
Alternative brands of Azomax antibiotic are;
What happens with Azomax Overdose?
If you overdose on Azimax, it can cause;
- Severe gastrointestinal disturbances including diarrhea, vomiting, and nausea
- Trouble breathing and fainting
What if you miss the Azomax dose?
Follow the prescribed dosage for Antibiotics like Azomax. Avoid missing the dose of Azomax. However, if you accidentally forget to take the medicine, take it as soon as you remember. If the time of the next dose is near, skip the missed dose and take the upcoming dose as prescribed. Following the antibiotic regime accurately is always recommended to avoid antibiotic resistance.
How to store Azomax cap
To store Azomax, follow the given instructions;
- Store the medicine at room temperature
- Keep Azomax away from direct sunlight
- Store the tablet away from moisture
- Keep all the medicines out of the reach of children
Consult a doctor for the complete diagnosis and treatment of bacterial infection with Azomax antibiotic.
1. Is Azomax a strong antibiotic?
Azomax contains Azithromycin which is a potent antibiotic against a wide range of bacteria. It is more potent than any other macrolide antibiotic. It is an effective and well-tolerated antibiotic.
2. Does Azomax cause sleep?
Azomax capsule does not cause drowsiness or sleep. Data indicates reported insomnia in some people due to Azomax.
3. When should you take Azomax?
It is recommended to take Azomax as recommended by the doctor. Follow the complete dosage regime to avoid the development of antibiotic resistance. For maximum benefit, take Azomax at the same time each day or at equally spaced intervals.
Disclaimer: The content published on Marham.pk is for informational or educational purposes only, produced from FDA-approved literature, and does not substitute professional medical advice. Please consult your healthcare provider before using a prescription or over-the-counter drug, or any other treatment option.