Bariatric surgery is a medical procedure designed for people who are not able to lose weight through diet and exercise. It not only reduces weight, but also lowers the risk of health problems associated with obesity.
Who can Opt for Bariatric Surgery?
Weight-loss surgery has specific requirements for eligibility. That person is qualified for the procedure whose
- Body mass index (BMI) is 40 or higher (extreme obesity) or has weight more than a 100 pounds.
- BMI is 35 to 39.9 (obesity) and has a serious weight-related health condition (e.g. heart disease, hypertension, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea).
- Some people with 30 to 34 BMI also qualify for bariatric surgery if their weight is causing serious health problems.
- People who are unable to lose weight by conventional means. If you also suffer from chronic obesity book an appointment with the best bariatric surgeon in Karachi, best bariatric surgeon in Lahore, best bariatric surgeon in Islamabad or any other main city of Pakistan via Marham.pk and know what are the benefits of this procedure for your particular case.
How much can a Person Lose Weight Post-surgery?
On average patients lose 60% of their extra weight with bariatric surgery, whether they follow their post-operational guidelines or not.
Those patients who follow these guidelines, maintain a healthy diet and exercise regularly after the procedure can lose more than 60% of their excessive fat.
How much Time does it Require to Heal Completely?
Healing time depends on your physical and mental state and the type of procedure you underwent. In general, the following ranges are to be expected:
Timeline range: from 3 days to 6 weeks to full recovery
Hospital stay: from outpatient (discharged on the same day) to 3 days
Back to work: from 3 days to 3 weeks
What is the Success Rates of Weight-loss Surgery?
Bariatric surgery success rate depends on the procedure you choose or which is more suitable for you. On average, the following success percentages have been recorded according to the type of procedure:
- Gastric bypass surgery: 85 – 90%
- Gastric sleeve surgery: 85%
- Gastric banding surgery: 50%
- Duodenal switch surgery: 95%
Weight-loss surgery is a highly successful surgery with a minimal chance failure of 5 – 15%.
Pros and Cons of Bariatric Surgery:
Like all other surgical treatments, bariatric surgery has its own list of benefits and associated risks. Fear not! This procedure is among a few of those operations that have a very high success rate with minimal minor problems that are easily treatable.
Let’s go through the list of its post-operational advantages and disadvantages:
- You lose 60% of your extra weight without any effort in a short time period. This percentage increases to 85% if post-operational guidelines are followed.
- It has 80 – 95% chances of success with only 5 – 15% chances of a complication.
- Gastric sleeve and gastric band surgery require a short hospital stay. Gastric bypass may need a bit longer.
- In gastric sleeve and gastric bypass surgery, no foreign objects are inserted in your body. The gastric band requires a band insertion around your stomach which is adjustable.
- Weight-loss surgery reduces 90% risk of type 2 diabetes. To manage diabetes find and consult with the best endocrinologist in Islamabad, Lahore or other main cities of Pakistan via marham.pk.
- Gastric band surgery requires follow-up check-ups for band adjustment.
- In some cases of gastric band surgery, your body may not accept the band which will need it to be removed or replaced.
- Gastric sleeve surgery has higher chances of operational complications than a gastric band.
- Bariatric surgery can cause risk of development of vitamin deficiency.
- Gastric sleeve surgery is irreversible whereas, gastric bypass is very difficult to reverse.
Bariatric Surgery Cost:
Bariatric surgery cost in Pakistan lies between Rs. 150,000 to 600,000. This cost depends on multiple factors such as the surgeon who performs this surgery, materials expense, and hospital expenditure. You can find any other details about bariatric surgery in Pakistan at marham.pk as well.
Bariatric surgery is a very good option for those who are morbidly obese. If you’re willing for a weight-loss surgery, contact the best gastric sleeve surgery specialists in Lahore, Karachi, Islamabad, etc., via marham.pk.
Latest posts by Noorul Huda (see all)
- 5 Useful Tips For Heart Patients To Follow During Ramadan - May 30, 2019
- 5 Effective Tips To Prevent Headaches And Migraines During Ramadan - May 30, 2019
- Everything You Need To Know About Caffeine: Sources And Advantages. - September 17, 2018