Dietary choices can play a pivotal role in recovery for individuals battling dengue. The best fruits for dengue patients include orange, papaya, pomegranate, etc., packed with antioxidants and high water content. These fruits help boost platelet levels and provide essential nutrients to fortify the body and expedite recovery.
Best Fruits for Dengue Patients
International Journal of Mosquito Research has found that fruits like Apple, Banana, Orange, Pomegranates, Papaya, Kiwi, and their fruit juices can help recover from dengue fever. They help in boosting immunity and increase the synthesis of platelets.
Some of the best fruits for dengue fever you can consume are:
1. Papaya increases platelets
The use of papaya leaf extract to treat dengue fever patients is widely renowned, particularly in Southeast Asia. Papaya leaf juice is a home remedy to increase platelet counts in dengue patients. Dengue fever can cause a significant decrease in platelet count, which can lead to more serious health complications.
- “C. papaya leaf juice has the potential to be a new drug candidate against dengue disease safely and effectively,” says research on dengue fever. Drinking papaya juice regularly will assist patients’ health by preventing platelets from decreasing.
- The exact mechanism by which papaya leaf extract might help increase platelet count is not entirely understood. Some believe it’s due to certain compounds in the leaves that can support bone marrow production or protect platelets from destruction.
- Since papaya is packed with vitamins, fiber, zinc, and folate, it extremely benefits one’s health. Including papaya in the daily diet of dengue fever, patients can help boost white blood cells, avoid blood clotting, and promote healing.
Papaya extract or juice must be consumed in moderation as large amounts might lead to stomach discomfort or other side effects. If you’re pregnant or breastfeeding, consult a healthcare professional before consuming papaya leaf extract, as its safety hasn’t been well-researched in this population.
2. Kiwi for dengue
The kiwi fruit contains vitamins E, C, K, and zinc. It also has tons of fiber and antioxidants.
A study that used combination therapy of Carica Papaya and Kiwi fruit found that they significantly impact Dengue fever and other accompanying symptoms.
Therefore, including kiwi in the daily diet with papaya, either directly or through kiwi juice, boosts platelets and enhances patients’ immune systems.
3. Pomegranate alleviates fatigue
“Pomegranate and sweet lime juices along with green coconut water promote rapid restoration of hematological parameters in patients infected with dengue,” says research conducted in 2019.
Pomegranate is rich in polyphenolic flavonoids, which have anti-microbial effects. Its consumption alleviates feelings of tiredness and fatigue. Pomegranate is particularly healthy for the blood due to its high iron content. It also aids in maintaining a normal blood platelet count, which is required for dengue recovery.
4. Guava for platelet synthesis
Guava is unquestionably one of the best fruits for dengue and is a vitamin C-rich fruit. Vitamin C is required for platelet synthesis as well as immune system enhancement. If the guava is too firm, produce guava juice, which is tasty and beneficial to the patient’s health.
Experimental research in 2009 found that giving red guava juice to male and female patients improved thrombocytes, decreasing to 31.28% and 23.6%, respectively. It also reduced the hematocrit percentage to 1.51% for males and 10.94% for females.
5. Apple and apple juice are good for dengue
Apples are a very nutritious fruit with several health advantages, no doubt. They include a lot of fiber and antioxidants. Eating them has been associated with a decreased risk of various chronic diseases.
Both papaya and apple have been shown to have immune-boosting properties. Based on the reviewed research, it is possible to infer that apple has potential uses in the treatment of dengue.
6. Orange fights dehydration
Adding a cup of orange juice to the daily meal can greatly boost the patient’s immune system combating weariness and improving the body’s resilience.
- Vitamin C is abundant in oranges, an antioxidant that plays a role in immune function. It might help boost the immune system and help in the body’s fight against infections.
- Dengue fever often causes dehydration due to high fever, decreased oral intake, and increased metabolic demands. Fresh orange juice can help keep the patient hydrated, but it should be consumed with plenty of plain water.
- The natural sugars in oranges restore some energy, which could be beneficial since dengue patients often feel fatigued and weak.
- Oranges contain dietary fiber, which can help digestion, especially if the patient has gastrointestinal symptoms like stomach cramps and vomiting.
7. Banana for treating dengue
Bananas, particularly banana leaves, are known as one of the traditional remedies for treating dengue patients. It is the best fruit for dengue as it helps alleviate many disease symptoms.
- Some people believe drinking boiled banana leaf extract can increase the platelet count, which can drop dangerously low in severe dengue cases.
- Bananas are rich in nutrients like potassium, vitamin B6, vitamin C, and dietary fiber. When recovering from dengue, a balanced diet that includes fruits like bananas can be beneficial. However, it’s essential to note that bananas are not a treatment for dengue fever.
- One of the severe complications of dengue fever is a drastic drop in platelet count. Bananas and banana leaves have been suggested to help increase platelet count.
8. Dragon fruit for dengue improves immunity
Dragon fruit contains potent antioxidants, phytonutrients, lycopene, and high fiber, phosphorus, and iron content. So, dragon fruit for dengue patients is another great option.
It has several advantages, like Vitamin C in dragon fruit can help improve cellular immunity and prevent dengue hemorrhagic fever. Because of its significant antioxidant capabilities, it is also good for the bones and boosts hemoglobin.
Which fruit juice is good for dengue patients?
Liquid intake is important in dengue fever because they are easily absorbed by our body and help us overcome weakness. Fruit juices, particularly those from citrus fruits, are the richest source of vitamins.
They are high in vitamin C, which has anti-inflammatory qualities. Furthermore, it is gut-friendly, and the fiber in the juice will keep you away from gastrointestinal issues.
Some of the best fruit juices for the treatment of dengue are:
- pomegranate juice
- papaya juice
- apple juice
- orange juice
- kiwi juice
The Bottom Line
Fruits are packed with nutrients ranging from vitamins to antioxidants that help support different important bodily functions. Low platelet count, anemia, fatigue, and fever and all be managed by including fruits in your diet.
Some of the best fruits for dengue patients are pomegranates, apples, bananas, kiwis, papaya, etc. You can consult a dietitian to get a diet plan for the dengue virus.
1. Is Apple good for dengue patients?
Apple treats anemia in dengue patients while also increasing platelets via an antioxidant. You can eat them raw or make apple juice. Ensure you add one teaspoon of lemon juice to a glass of apple juice before drinking it.
2. Which fruits should be avoided in dengue?
While most fruits are healthy to eat in dengue. But, it is advised to avoid foods containing salicylates during dengue. Salicylate-rich fruits include avocado, berries, cherries, grapes, peaches, and plums.
3. Is lemon water good for dengue?
Sweet limes, lemons, and orange juices can treat dengue fever. But, orange is regarded as one of the healthiest fruits for dengue fever. It is naturally high in vitamin C, which can aid in healing your antibodies.