About Betnesol Tablet
Betnesol Tablet is a medication containing betamethasone used for the treatment of allergies, immune-related illnesses, rheumatoid arthritis, bronchial asthma, skin, and other allergic conditions. Betnesol is an FDA – approved medicine that works by preventing the release of chemical substances that cause swelling, itching, and redness.
Manufactured by: GSK
Drug Class: Corticosteroids
Product form: Tablet
Mechanism of Action
Betamethasone works by attaching to the steroid receptor that suppresses inflammation. Additionally, it promotes the skin’s organic compounds, which lowers swelling and inflammation. Betnesol-containing betamethasone also inhibits inflammatory transcription factors to reduce swelling and inflammation.
Price of Betnesol in Pakistan
Betnesol tablet 4mg costs 80-100 PKR/tablet in Pakistan. Betnesol tablet price varies depending on the manufacturer.
Betnesol Tablet Uses
Following are the uses of Betnesol tablet;
- Allergy and inflammation: Betnesol is a steroid indicated for the treatment of allergies and inflammation. Betnesol is used as a monotherapy or in combination with other drugs.
- Asthma: Betamethasone is used for the treatment of asthma symptoms. It is also indicated for treating breathing issues.
- Gastrointestinal diseases: Betnesol tablet is used for the treatment and management of gastric issues including colitis. Therapy with Betnesol reduces the swelling and pain in the large intestine caused due to colitis or other such infections.
- Lessen or prevent swelling and irritation: Betnesol therapy is indicated for the treatment of major and minor skin issues that cause redness, itchiness, and swelling. Betnesol is used in combination with vitamin D for pruritis.
- Autoimmune diseases: Betnesol is a treatment of choice for autoimmune diseases that cause swelling and inflammation of joints and bones. These include the management and treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, bursitis, tendinitis, gout, and other joint-related conditions.
How to use the Betnesol tablet?
- Take the Betnesol tablet by mouth with water.
- Do not crush or break the tablet.
- Never skip a dosage or stop taking it without first talking to your doctor.
- The medication must be taken for the full course.
- Initially, Betnesol is prescribed in small doses. The dose is increased based on the drug response.
- Without first consulting the doctor, do not boost the dosage or stop abruptly because doing so can aggravate the symptoms.
Side Effects of Betnesol
Betnesol 0.5 mg Tablet side effects are;
- Blurred vision
- Increased appetite
- Anxiety and nervousness
- Irregular menstrual periods
- Growth retardation in children
- Hoarseness of voice
- Weight gain
Contraindications for Betnesol?
In the following conditions, you should not use a Betnesol tablet;
Allergy to Betnesol
- If you have an allergy to Betnesol, stay away from taking the 0.5 MG tablet.
- If you experience any symptoms, including skin rash, itching or swelling (particularly of the face, tongue, or throat), severe dizziness, difficulty breathing, etc.,
- You should seek emergency medical assistance in this case.
- An infection that affects your internal organs is referred to as a systemic fungal infection.
- It is not advised to take Betnesol 0.5 mg Tablets if you have a fungal infection affecting one or more internal organs.
- Your immune system may be suppressed by this medication, worsening your disease.
Is Betnesol safe during pregnancy?
Betnesol 0.5 mg Tablet is not recommended for use in pregnancy as it may harm your fetus. Betnesol is known to cause cleft palate in the developing fetus.
Betnesol 0.5 mg tablet is not recommended for use during breastfeeding as this medicine passes into breast milk and may harm your infant.
Hence, it is recommended to consult a gynecologist before using Betnesol during pregnancy.
Betnesol Tablet dosage
Betnesol dosage depends on the condition it is treating and on the dosage form.
The usual dose of Betnesol tablet is;
- 0.5 mg-2 mg daily by mouth.
What if you miss the Betnesol dose?
Take the Betnesol 0.5 mg Tablet as soon as you recall, if skipped. If the time of the next scheduled dose is near, skip the missed dose and take the due dosage as prescribed. Never take two doses at once to make up for missing ones.
Betnesol overdose can cause Increased acne or facial hair, menstruation issues, skin bruises, and other side effects that may result from using this medication in excess. If you have taken an excessive amount of Betnesol, call your doctor right away.
Also Read: Nuberol forte uses
Drug Interactions of Betnesol
Before beginning any medication, discuss with your doctor all potential interactions. Betnesol tablets interact with the following medicines;
- Ethinyl Estradiol
Warnings associated with Betnesol
The precautions and warnings associated with Betnesol tablet are;
- Withdrawal symptoms such as weakness, tiredness, weight loss, and decreased appetite.
- Dose adjustment and response assessment are required in case of liver disease and kidney diseases.
- Betnesol may worsen visual disturbances.
- Betnesol should be used with caution in patients with myasthenia gravis.
- The amount of time required for Betnesol 0.5 mg Tablet to start showing its effect is not known.
- The amount of time for which Betnesol 0.5 mg Tablet remains active in your body is not known.
- No habit-forming tendencies were reported for Betnesol 0.5 mg Tablet.
Alternatives of Betnesol
Following is the list of the substitutes for Betnesol
- Betawok 0.5 mg Tablet; Wockhardt Ltd.
- Betnecip 0.5 mg Tablet; Cipla Ltd.
- Betnecort 0.5 mg Tablet; Cipla Ltd.
- Betni 0.5 mg Tablet; Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd..
You can consult Online or book an appointment with the Best Internal Medicine Specialist for the prescription use of Betnesol.
1. Is it safe to take Betnesol?
Betnesol is a safe steroid that is used on prescription for treating a number of inflammations and autoimmune diseases. However, avoid using Betnesol in patients who have a known allergy to Betnesol.
2. Is Betnesol harmful?
The adverse effects of Betnesol 0.5 MG Tablet include headache, nausea, shortness of breath, weight gain, and stomach trouble. These negative effects go away on their own. If any of these symptoms annoy you or get worse, talk to your doctor. If you have an allergy to this medication, avoid using it.
3. Is Betnesol tablet for cough?
Betnesol tablet is a systemic corticosteroid. It has no effects on cough, cold, and other viral infections.
Disclaimer: The content published on Marham.pk is for informational or educational purposes only, produced from FDA-approved literature, and does not substitute professional medical advice. Please consult your healthcare provider before using a prescription or over-the-counter drug, or any other treatment option.