The cornea is the front layer of your eye. This helps you focus light and have a clear vision. If it gets damaged it has to be removed and replaced with a new healthy layer of corneal tissue. The procedure used for this purpose is called keratoplasty or corneal transplantation.
Here is what you need to know about corneal transplantation.
Benefits of Corneal Transplantation:
Anyone who gets their cornea transplanted can :
• Have lost vision restored
• See clearly
• Have reduced pain
• Improved outlook as compared to the damaged cornea.
Who is a Good Candidate for Corneal Transplant?
Damage to cornea results in distorted light transfer and problem in visualizing clearly. A corneal transplant can be used to correct these problems. People with eye problems mentioned below can benefit from a corneal transplant.
- Scarring of the cornea due to injury or infection
- Ulcers or sores of the cornea due to infection
- People suffering from keratoconus
- People who have a thin or cloudy cornea
- People suffering from swelling of the cornea
- Inherited eye conditions such as Fuch’s dystrophy etc.
- Complications resulting from other eye surgeries
What to Expect from This Surgery?
Prior to this surgery, you will undergo a few exams you ensure good overall health. You will have to withhold certain medicines, for now, such as aspirin. Also, you will have to use antibiotic eye drops one day ahead of surgery.
Mostly keratoplasty is carried out on an outpatient basis. Meaning you will need not to be hospitalized. You will be under local anesthesia for the procedure. Most of the people can go home after the surgery. The entire procedure of transplantation may take from 30 minutes to one hour for completion.
Choice of an expert surgeon is crucial to the success of this surgery. Using Marham.pk you can easily find the best eye specialists in Karachi expert in this procedure.
After surgery, you will be wearing an eye patch for one to four days. You can stop wearing eye patch once the top layer of your cornea heals. Some soreness, light sensitivity and pain is normal after this procedure. However, some patients report feeling fine and do not complain of any discomfort.
You will be using some eye drops and pain medications as well. Use of medicines as per instructions by your doctor will be helpful. You will have to follow up sessions next to surgery, several times during few upcoming weeks and a few more throughout the year.
If you had stitches these will be removed after a few months. Corneal tissues heal slowly. Following your doctor’s instructions and protecting your eye from injury will ensure fast healing.
Few Most Popular Ophthalmologist :
Latest posts by Sehrish (see all)
- 7 Commonly Asked Questions about Fertility Treatment - October 18, 2018
- بچوں کے کند ذہن ہونے کی وجہ - October 17, 2018
- Anyone can Beat Belly Fat with these 5 Tips - October 17, 2018