I was brought up with this fact: No Milk after Fish. My aunts and uncles scared me by showing pictures people with white patches or ‘phulbheri’ and that if I ever broke the rule, I would also go colorless on parts of my faces.
As a child, I didn’t know whether such comments were appropriate or not. All I knew was that I was scared. There were commercials and TV drama episodes educating the masses about this fact in a comical way.
But thanks to our dear doctors and scientists, I finally unraveled the truth for myself. Much to the disappointment of my uncles and aunties, developing white patches because you drank milk after eating fish IS A MYTH.
A big fat lie.
The white patches are only caused because of 2 reasons:
1. Fungal infection, or
2. Destruction of melanocytes (skin cells that form the pigment giving it the special color).
Having fish and milk together does not propagate the infection (duh!) or destroy the skin cells of the body in any way, modern research proves.
If you are lactose intolerant or allergic to fish (or to its particular type only), you might be prone to developing:
3. Stomach aches.
But NOT the white patches on the skin. Some of the most delicious eateries in Lahore and Karachi especially use curd (a milk product) to prepare variety of fish entrees. In case they turn out to be too spicy for your liking, drinking milk after them could cause some unsettling indigestion (acid reflux). However, as the doctors have repeatedly debunked, it would never make your skin bi-colored just because you chose to have a different eating habit than the norm!
Latest posts by Norin Chaudhry (see all)
- She Would Have Died Of Seizures Without Us Ever Knowing… - January 28, 2017
- Are You Dieting or Slowly Poisoning Yourself? - January 23, 2017
- 3 Things to Make Your Child’s Eyesight 20/20 - January 17, 2017