Dulcolax is a syrup that promotes bowel motions. It is used to alleviate constipation or to clear the bowels before undergoing surgery, a colonoscopy, an x-ray, or any other intestinal medical procedure. In most cases, taking Dulcolax tablets results in a bowel movement within 6 to 12 hours. Dulcolax suppositories typically result in bowel motions in 15 minutes to 1 hour.
Here, we would read in detail about Dulcolax syrup, its uses, side effects, and price.
About Dulcolax syrup
The stimulant-free laxative Dulcolax® Liquid Laxative works quickly to ease occasional constipation. Magnesium hydroxide, the active component, is present in each 15 mL dose at a dosage of 1200 mg.
Doctors say it works with your body to naturally pull water to the colon and assists you in going within 30 minutes to 6 hours.
What is the Price of Dulcolax syrup in Pakistan?
In Pakistan, Dulcolax syrup costs Rs. 220-245/pack, approximately. It is easily available at pharmacies and online countrywide.
Uses of Dulcolax syrup
Some of the uses of Dulcolax syrup are;
- Constipation can be treated with Dulcolax syrup.
- Before a bowel examination or surgery, the intestines may also be cleaned out using this syrup.
- Dulcolax syrup is a well-known laxative stimulant.
- It functions by causing the intestines to move more, thus aiding in the passing of the stools.
Side effects of Dulcolax syrup
Dulcolax syrup’s side effects according to medical health professionals are;
- Irregular heartbeat
- Diarrhea that doesn’t stop
- Muscle cramps
- Decreased urination
- Mental/mood changes
When should you not use Dulcolax syrup?
Do not use this syrup if you experience;
- Blockage of the stomach or intestine
- Inability to control a bowel movement
Other details about Dulcolax syrup
Some other important details related to Dulcolax syrup are given below;
Storage conditions related to Dulcolax syrup are given below;
- Keep it out of children’s reach
- Place it in a cool, dry place
- After the stated expiration date, do not use it
- Keep it away from warm, humid environments
- Do not refrigerate
If you are supposed to take this medication on a regular schedule by your doctor and you forget to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember.
Skip the missed dose if the time for the subsequent dose is approaching. At the appointed time, take your next dose. Do not increase the dose to make up for missed one.
Each medicine has a unique interaction with each individual. Before beginning any medication, discuss with a medical specialist doctor about all potential drug interactions.
Possible drug interactions may include with;
Medicines to lower stomach acid such as
- H2 blockers like ranitidine
- Proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole
Following are some warnings related to this syrup as per experts;
- Elderly people shouldn’t take rectal Dulcolax without consulting a doctor.
- The effects of Dulcolax on an unborn child are unknown, so pregnant women should avoid taking it without consulting the doctor.
- It is unknown if Dulcolax transfers to breast milk or is harmful to a nursing infant. So, it is advised that nursing mothers should avoid this medicine without consulting a doctor.
- Do not administer this medicine to a child under two years unless recommended by a doctor.
You should also avoid Dulcolax If you are taking any other medications or have any other health issues, like:
- Hemorrhoids or anal fissures, which are tiny tears in the skin tissues surrounding your rectum
- Ulcerative colitis
- Inflammatory bowel disease or another intestinal disorder
- A history of intestinal perforation; an eating disorder (anorexia or bulimia)
- Difficulty swallowing Dulcolax tablets without chewing (if you’re taking them)
If you experience any of the above complaints, you must talk to a medical expert. Click here to book a meeting with the best doctors through Marham.
Substitutes of Dulcolax syrup
Following is the list of substitutes for Dulcolax syrup;
- Polyethylene glycol 3350
- Milk of Magnesia
- Dulcolax Stool Softener
Marham’s online services for delivering medicines
Now there is no need to go to a pharmacy for buying your medicines. With Marham app, you can order Dulcolax syrup from the comfort of your own home.
1. When should I take Dulcolax syrup?
Your doctor may prescribe you Dulcolax syrup before surgery, a colonoscopy, an x-ray, or any intestinal medical treatment, to help alleviate constipation or to clear the intestines.
2. Can Dulcolax show effects within 2 hours?
Generally, you should have a bowel movement within 12 to 72 hours of taking Dulcolax tablets. On average Dulcolax suppositories result in bowel motions in about 15 to 60 minutes after taking them. However, different people could experience the impacts at various periods.
3. Is it alright to take Dulcolax daily?
Dulcolax should not be used over an extended period of time. Excessive and prolonged use of Dulcolax might result in salt imbalances in the body, including low potassium levels, muscle weakness, and kidney issues.
Disclaimer: The content published on Marham.pk is for informational or educational purposes only, produced from FDA-approved literature, and does not substitute professional medical advice. Please consult your healthcare provider before using a prescription or over-the-counter drug, or any other treatment option.