Table of Content
Iodine is an essential mineral which thyroid gland uses to make thyroid hormones, which helps to control growth, repair damaged cells and support a healthy metabolism. Unfortunately, a lot of people worldwide are the victim of iodine deficiency. Maybe you are among them and if you are not using iodized salt, follow a vegetarian diet or pregnant you are more prone to be iodine deficiency. To know each bit about this deficiency keep reading.
To track the deficiency of iodine is not a difficult task as it manifests a vast number of signs and symptoms which may vary according to age. In adults, it causes following symptoms.
- Swollen neck
- Fatigue, not the usual one as after a hectic day but low energy and less stamina of working.
- Increased sensitivity to cold
- Dry skin. If no other symptom is found than dry skin problem can be resolved by consulting top dermatologist of Lahore and other main cities via Marham.pk.
- Weight gain
- Puffy face
- Muscle weakness, pain or stiffness in muscles or joints.
- Elevated blood cholesterol levels even when you are not taking high-fat food
- Slowed heart rate
- Thinning hair and uncontrolled hair loss
- Poor memory
- Heavier period in menstruating women
Symptoms of Iodine Deficiency in Infants:
In infants, hypothyroidism comes with slightly different symptoms. You can identify iodine deficient child if he has following symptoms:
- Frequent choking
- Large or swollen tongue
- Puffy face
- Poor muscle tone
- Extreme sleepiness
Symptoms of Iodine Deficiency in Children and Teens:
In children and teens, all above-mentioned signs and symptoms are noted with some others like,
- Poor growth
- Delayed tooth development
- Delayed puberty
- Poor mental development
Brain-related Effects of Iodine Deficiency:
Iodine deficiency is not limited to affect physically but your brain especially cognitive functions also affected negatively. Some cognitive behavior which interrupted by iodine deficiency is following:
- Low IQ
- Trouble learning
- Mental disabilities
You can find and consult with the best neurologist in Karachi, Lahore and other main cities of Pakistan via Marham.pk.
Treatment of iodine deficiency usually not needed medication, only little dietary changes like following, will enough to resolve the problem.
- Iodine fortified salt
- Diet rich in iodine like seafood
- Iodine supplementation
Iodine is needed for all bodily functions, so it’s better to keep it in the required amount, before the appearance of deficiency symptoms and related diseases.
Latest posts by Tayyaba Waris (see all)
- Small Steps That Can Improve Your Health And Nutrition Immediately - January 23, 2021
- Healthy Chunks Are The Real Guards Of Heart - January 22, 2021
- 4 Reasons to Leave the Shoes at your Door Step - July 15, 2018