“DIABETES” means copious urine of uncontrolled diabetes. “Mellitus” is for “sweet,” or “honey”. Diabetes Mellitus is a scientific name use when physicians discovered that the urine from an individual with diabetes is sweet with glucose. Diabetes mellitus commonly known as diabetes is one of the major lifestyle disorder that is captivating people around the globe. India has become the largest diabetic pool in the world. A person with diabetes can draw a normal life just like others with few practices and dietary changes.
About one third of all people with diabetes do not know they have the disease, In addition, Type 2 diabetes often does not show any symptoms. But, if you have type 2 diabetes, your body might not capable to accomplish their routine function as efficiently. The good news is there’s a lot a diabetic patient can do to improve his lifestyle and live long & healthy.
For further guidance about the topic or you might find any diabetic patient in your family /friends circle. Refer him to Marham, he can easily Book an Appointment with the Best Endocrinologist in Karachi, Lahore & other main cities of Pakistan & can get the best medical service and advice from our wise doctors!
Below are some diabetes facts you need to know, so that you can make the right decisions and stay healthy for life!
- There are 3 main types of diabetes: Type 1, Type 2 and Gestational diabetes.
- Type 1 diabetes is sometimes called insulin-dependent diabetes.
- Type 1 diabetes is managed using an insulin pump or insulin injections.
- 90% of people with diabetes have type 2 diabetes.
- Type 2 diabetes used to be called non-insulin dependent diabetes.
- Type 2 diabetes could be managed by exercise, diet and sometimes medication and insulin.
- People with diabetes are twice prone to develop heart disease than a non-diabetic person.
- Artificial sweeteners are safer for a diabetic person. These are the carbohydrate complexes which cannot be digested. We do not have an enzyme to digest these sugars and thus they pass undigested from our body.
- Bariatric surgery can reduce the signs of diabetes in obese people
- Taking good care of diabetes significantly reduces the risk of developing complications and prevents them from getting worse.
- Hypoglycemia is the condition when the blood sugar falls below normal it is termed as hypoglycemia. We all are mostly bothered about hyperglycemia or high blood sugar but diabetic persons are also prone to hypoglycemia especially those on insulin. It is very alarming and can be identified by the indications such as fainting, shivering, sweating etc.
- Diabetes is the dominant cause of blindness in adults.
- Those with diabetes are more expected to develop carpal tunnel syndrome and tarsal tunnel syndrome.