Table of Content
Babies are beautiful. They need extra care to grow healthy. Have you ever witnesses white spots in baby’s mouth; especially on the tongue and palate? Those white spots are due to the growth of yeast infection in your baby’s mouth. It can incur great irritation in and around baby’s mouth. If this condition prevails and baby finds difficulty in feeding you need to visit pediatrician as soon as possible.
What are common symptoms of Oral Thrush?
- White patches on the inside of the cheek
- Greyish-White patch on the palate or around tongue
- Patches resembles milk in the mouth but they can’t be rubbed off
- Redness around the patch can be visible
- Cracked corners of the mouth
- Patches can cause pain.
- Sore mouth
Should Mothers be worried?
Well! Even though it is not a life threatening infection but it can cause great irritability especially during feeding times. If it is not treated the size and amount of patches might also increase greatly. One of the major concerns of breastfeeding mothers is that Oral thrush is contagious. During feeding sessions it can get transferred to mothers as well. Some of the symptoms of women who suffer from the transfer of this fungus include:
- Red, sore nipples
- Flaky skin around the areola
- Acute pain during and after feeding session
- Severe pain within chest
How it can be treated?
- Antifungal creams will be recommended by child specialist
- Medicine is applied at least four times a day.
- Medicine should be used even after infection is gone at least for two days to get rid of it permanently
- Always sterilize feeding bottles
- Nipple of the bottle and pacifiers should be cleaned in hot water
- Mothers should apply coconut oil, tea-tree gel on their breasts to soothe them
Oral thrush is contagious hence mothers and babies need to get it checked to get rid of it completely. If your child is in pain and you have trouble feeding him consult best child specialist along with best gynecologist for treating it.