Isabgol (Psyllium Husk) has been a proven herbal remedy to ensure health benefits in terms of treating constipation and contributes to easing the passage of stool. Undoubtedly, an effective or pocket-friendly remedy so far.
Isabgol is an optimal solution in order to get rid of constipation, lose weight or lower your cholesterol! Surprisingly, it has other plenty of benefits as well.
According to Reported research, “Dietary fiber has a positive effect on human health, both in the prevention and treatment of chronic diseases. Isabgol husk(Plantago ovata) is a natural polymer of plant origin consisting mainly of polysaccharide chains. It is used as a bulking agent for constipation, for colorectal cancer, ulcerative colitis, hemorrhoids, diabetes, and hypercholesterolemia.”
Attention: Therapeutic Indications of Isabgol
- For the treatment of habitual constipation
- In conditions in which easy defecation with soft stools is desirable, e.g. in cases of painful defecation after rectal or anal surgery, anal fissures, and hemorrhoids
- In patients to whom an increased daily fiber intake may be advisable e.g. as an adjuvant in constipation-predominant irritable bowel syndrome
Is it good to take Isabgol daily?
According to studies, it has been reported that “a daily dose of isabgol husk in moderation is very well accepted by the body. Isabgol husk is consumed extensively both as a food ingredient in processed foods and in pharmacological supplements.”
What are the Health benefits of taking Isabgol?
1. Isabgol Benefits for Constipation
According to a reported study, “Psyllium husk when taken with water or warm milk, acts as a laxative.” It releases its gel-like material into your stool which softens the stool and relieves constipation.
How to use Isabgol for constipation?
- Isabgol is used with milk or water to relieve constipation
- Take 2 Tablespoons of isabgol and mix it in a glass of water or warm milk
- Drink it (preferably at night) for at least a week
2. Isabgol to Treat Diarrhea
When taken with yogurt, the isabgol husk helps in curing diarrhea. Due to its water-soluble properties, it absorbs water in the intestine and hardens your stool. And the yogurt helps by providing probiotics that are also helpful in treating diarrhea.
How to use Isabgol for diarrhea?
According to a study, mix roughly 2 tsp (10 ml) of isabgol with 3 tsp (15 ml) of fresh curd until well combined. Eat this mixture directly after a meal. Be sure to consult your doctor before using it for severe diarrhea.
- Follow your curds with a full glass of water. This helps prevent choking.
- You should do this twice daily to see positive results.
- The consistency of curds causes the isabgol to react differently in the cut. Instead of softening the stools further, the isabgol adds bulk and helps solidify loose stools.
- The combination of curds and isabgol also gives your stomach a good dose of probiotics, which can help heal an underlying cause of diarrhea.
- In professional medical settings, this product is commonly used to treat diarrhea in patients who are tube fed.
Consult the best doctor for expert advice.
3. Isabgol is good for High Blood Pressure
Water-soluble fibers like isabgol help in controlling blood sugar levels. According to research, isabgol husk use in type 2 diabetic patients is beneficial. It has gelatin that slows down the breaking and absorption of glucose into the body and hence controls blood sugar levels.
Tip: Take Psyllium husk after a meal with water to get better results.
4. Isabgol for Cholesterol Reduction
The cholesterol can also be controlled using isabgol. According to research, it can increase the level of HDL (good cholesterol) and decrease the level of LDL (bad cholesterol) in patients with type-2 diabetes. Take 10-20 grams per day with 8 ounces of water to lower cholesterol.
According to various health experts, hygroscopic properties of Isabgol help in reducing cholesterol in the blood. It forms a thin layer in the intestines that prevents the absorption of cholesterol from food and efficiently helps in lowering cholesterol.
5. Isabgol Acts as probiotic
It also acts as a probiotic. And helps in maintaining the good health of the small intestine and digestion. The Psyllium husk fibers undergo slow fermentation in the intestines, so they do not cause bloating and gas in your system. The main function of this husk is to clean the intestine.
6. Isabgol help in Losing Weight
By improving digestion, it helps in removing toxins from the body. Similarly, it also controls your food cravings and hence, controls your weight. The psyllium husk is enriched with both soluble as well as insoluble fiber. Moreover, It aids in smooth bowel movements, which is essential for losing weight. If you take isabgol husk with lemon and water mixture on empty stomach in the morning, it results in reducing your body weight.
Also read: 12 Amazing Benefits of Tukh Malanga
7. Isabgol for Heartburn
In case you are suffering from acidity, Isabgol (Psyllium Husk) comes to the rescue. It helps in digestion, so it also gives comfort from acidity. It makes a protective layer in the stomach that helps in controlling stomach acidity. You can take it with cold water for better results.
8. Isabgol is good for Hemorrhoids
One of the key benefits of isabgol is that it has a bowel and stomach-clearing ability hence, it serves as an effective remedy for treating hemorrhoids (piles) and anal fissures. Isabgol softens and it makes it easier for piles of patients to pass stool because of the water it has absorbed. Isabgol helps avoid over-stretching and keeps anal fissures from rupturing.
9. Isabgol Fighting with Bloating
Consuming isabgol also helps with the excessive bloating and stuffiness that we experience after eating certain foods. It also helps relieve the bloating that has been caused due to overconsumption of liquids as it absorbs the excessive liquids and eliminates them through stool. Hence, no more bloating!!
10. Isabgol Provides Energy and Freshness
According to research, Isabgol husk, carrying so many benefits, fights multiple diseases, consequently, it keeps us fresh, healthy, and active. Making isabgol a part of your everyday routine will help you stay away from all those unnecessary diseases and will keep you fit and active. Isabgol is also said to provide an instant energy boost. Whether you’re an athlete or a person working a 9-5 desk job shift, isabgol is your go-to remedy!
Caution: Possible Isabgol Side Effects
As Isabgol has laxative effects and creates intestinal bulk, it can have some potential side effects. Here are some of the side effects of Isabgol.
- More frequent bowel movements
- Stomach pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal pain
Despite having these benefits, isabgol should be consumed after consulting a specialist. Know the pros and cons before consuming it as it might not be suitable for all.
1. Is isabgol gluten-free?
Yes, when it is combined with water or fluid forms a gel. It is naturally gluten-free so safe for people with coeliac disease to eat and is useful for gluten-free baking
2. What is more beneficial with Isabgol, milk, or water?
It is a soluble fiber that manages the good and bad cholesterol in the body. To reduce bad cholesterol, Isabgol with lukewarm water is much more effective compared to having it with milk.
3. Is it safe to take Ispagol daily?
Studies show that a daily dose of isabgol husk in moderation is very well accepted by the body. Isabgol husk is consumed extensively both as a food ingredient in processed foods and in pharmacological supplements.
4. Can isabgol be given to babies?
Yes, it’s safe as far as the baby is concerned. But for constipation in general, all that’s required is a high-fiber diet, rather than stool softeners like isabgol, which are habit-forming.