A sore throat refers to an itchy and inflamed throat. Swallowing and drinking become difficult owing to the scratchy throat. Depending on the causes, you can get rid of a sore throat fast. Most effective throat pain home remedies include using honey, gargling with salt water, and OTC antihistamines.
- Allergy, bacteria, and viruses can cause sore throat resulting in throat itching and swelling.
- Throat pain home remedies are safe and effective involving the use of ginger, cinnamon, honey, and salt water gargles.
- If natural antivirals and analgesics don’t work, OTC anti-histamines can be used for curing sore throat overnight.
Home Remedies for Sore Throat
A sore throat can be caused by a viral infection, smoking, acid reflux, or irritants. To get rid of sore throat quickly, try the following home remedies as they are safe to use. However, if your symptoms persist and get severe, consult a doctor for a proper diagnosis.
Consult the top throat specialists right now to get a proper diagnosis and treatment of your sore throat.
1) Honey fights throat infection
Honey is a widely recognized cough suppressant. The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of honey prevent oropharyngeal congestion. The antiviral and antibacterial properties of honey soothe a sore throat.
The anti-tussive effects of honey are comparable to dextromethorphan which is the strongest anti-tussive medicine used for the treatment of chronic cough and sore throat. Honey has been also studied to improve upper respiratory tract disease symptoms.
How to use?
There are a variety of ways to use honey for the immediate cure of sore throat. They are;
- Lick honey as such to treat cough and throat pain.
- Dissolve honey in hot water and sipped to reduce throat pain and cough.
- Honey can be used in tea as a sweetener for its beneficial effects.
Also read: How to get rid of phlegm in the throat?
2) Soothe throat with hot or cold fluids
Drinking fluids can be extremely beneficial for sore throat as the drinks promote salivation. This prevents dryness of the throat as soreness increased in a dry throat.
Another benefit of hot and cold drinks for the treatment of sore throat is the killing of viruses and bacteria in the throat. As microbes need optimum temperature for their survival, extreme hot or cold temperatures retard their growth and kill them.
Hot drinks dilate the blood vessels, thus promoting blood flow and immune cell growth to fight the infection. Cold drinks and ice pops lower the temperature of pain-sensitive nerves that result in curing sore throat
How to use?
- Add plenty of hot drinks like tea, coffee, and hot water to your diet.
- Add soup and stock to your diet to ease throat soreness and symptoms of cold.
- Lick ice lolly and eat ice creams to soothe your throat.
3) Use Ginger and Cinnamon
Ginger and cinnamon can be used alone or in combination to avoid irritants and microbes resulting in sore throat and other respiratory infections.
Read to know If ginger is good for sore throat.
Ginger has natural analgesic properties which provide soothing effects to an itchy and scratchy throat. Cinnamon and ginger are anti-virals and possess strong anti-inflammatory properties for dealing with infections and soreness.
How to use?
Ginger and cinnamon can be employed in the diet in a number of ways to cure sore throats instantly. They include;
- Drink cinnamon and ginger-infused hot water.
- Make ginger and cinnamon tea (Honey can also be added for an additional benefit).
- Cinnamon and ginger powder can be added to black tea to provide antimicrobial effects.
4) Gargle with salt water
Saltwater is one of the best remedies to cure sore throat. Saltwater kills bacteria in the throat and reduces throat irritation and itching. Salt is also a remedy to calm the inflamed throat and reduce swelling.
How to use?
- Take half a teaspoon of salt and dissolve it in a lukewarm full glass of water.
- Gargle with this water taking small sips.
- Spit it after every gargle.
- Repeat the process 2-3 times daily for curing scratchy and sore throat.
5) Use OTC medicines for throat pain
Over-the-counter medicines can be used for the best treatment of sore throats. Anti-histamines are safe to use in treating nasal congestion, sore throat, or allergies.
These medicines provide relief from deepened gland pain and also work by numbing the nerves in the throat. Anti-histamines prevent throat infections caused by irritants like pollens, dust, mite, etc.
OTC throat medicines can either be used orally as tablets and syrups or can be used as decongestant sprays.
How to use?
- Take OTC throat pain medicine as indicated on the leaflet.
- The sedating antihistamines are preferable for use at night.
- The decongestant spray should be used as directed on the leaflet or by the doctor.
6) Use a humidifier for sore throat
Humidifiers are used to keep the breathing environment and thus the throat moist and humid. Dry air can aggravate sore throat and cough so the symptoms can be managed by using a humidifier.
However, it is important to keep the humidity at your home between 30-50%. Discontinue the humidifier if you experience trouble breathing due to the humidifier throwing up molds and bacteria.
How to use?
- Install the humidifier as directed in the instruction booklet.
- Use distilled water in the humidifier as it has low mineral content.
- Change the water in the machine daily.
- Unplug and clean the humidifier after every three days to wipe off dirt and deposits.
These home remedies are not a substitute for professional advice. Consult an ENT specialist if your symptoms worsen.
A sore throat can be problematic and cause difficulty in swallowing or drinking. Natural ingredients are commonly used to provide immediate relief from respiratory infections. Most effective home remedies include honey tea, cinnamon-infused water, salt water gargle, and fluids. In general, maintaining hydration and taking rest in a humidified environment can provide immediate relief from sore throat and runny nose.
1) How to get rid of a sore throat and clogged ears?
The most effective treatment for sore throat and clogged ears include OTC anti-histamine medicines and syrups. Using a humidifier and lozenges can also help treat the symptoms immediately at home.
2) How to get rid of a sore throat and runny nose?
Using hot or cold fluids and humidifiers can help keep the throat moist, thus helping in getting rid of a sore throat and runny nose. OTC fever and pain relievers are also very helpful for ENT infections.
3) What kills a sore throat fast at home?
Natural home remedies including analgesics, anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial herbs, and spices can kill a sore throat fast at home. Ginger, cinnamon, licorice root, honey, and plenty of soups and stock are the quickest way to cure sore throat.