It is still a stigma to consider males as infertile. A lot of couples who are struggling with infertility still blame females for this issue. But the reality is something different! Infertility in males is a real health issue.
Infertility is not something that can be referred to only one gender i-e females rather one-third of the infertile cases are due to male infertility. Male infertility means a man is not capable to start pregnancy with his female partner. A lot of causes can be behind this problem. And the majority of them are treatable. But the main concern is its diagnosis. Yes, if you don’t go for checkups and medical tests, it is impossible to diagnose the cause behind infertility in a couple. So the first and utmost important thing is to admit that males can also be the reason for infertility. And you should consult the health professionals for seeking help in this regard. You can consult the best sexologist in Lahore through Marham.
What is male infertility?
Infertility or sterility is a disorder of the reproductive system. When a man is unable to start pregnancy with his female partner, it is known as male infertility.
What are the causes of infertility in males?
The proper function of the male reproductive system depends upon two things;
- Healthy sperm production inadequate amount
- Transfer of these sperms to the female reproductive system (proper erection and ejaculation)
If any problem lies in these two factors, the couple suffers from infertility. Some of these problems are;
- Sperm disorders: In this case sperms may have an abnormal shape, unable to swim, immature, less in number, or total absence of sperms. These problems arise may arise due to infections like mumps, hormonal problems, genetic diseases, lifestyle factors like alcohol consumption, tobacco or other drug abuse, exposure to toxins, etc.
- Structural abnormalities: Sometimes abnormality in semen flow arises due to infections or inflammation and sometimes due to physical abnormality in any part of the reproductive system.
How to diagnose male infertility?
Infertility in males is diagnosed by;
- Semen analysis: This procedure identifies the abnormality in sperm’s shape, count, and many other features.
- Blood tests: These rule out the hormonal problems in your body
- Ultrasound scans: To check the structures of the reproductive system
- Testicular biopsy: If your semen analysis shows low sperm count, then your doctor may recommend this test to identify the problem at the tissue level.
Checkout 6 Most Common Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Is male infertility treatable?
Yes, it is. To start pregnancy with male infertility, you have many treatment options.
- Artificial insemination: Many healthy sperms are injected at the entrance of the cervix or right into the partner’s uterus. The sperm can then make their way to the fallopian tubes.
- IVF and other techniques: The doctor injects a single sperm into an egg. Fertilization then takes place outside the female body in the lab. Then he/she puts the fertilized egg in your partner’s uterus.
- Medicines: Medicines are used to treat hormonal issues. Multivitamins are also helpful in the treatment of infertility. The use of antibiotics is also common in case of infections.
- Surgery: Surgical procedures are done to resolve the structural abnormalities in the male reproductive system.
Sometimes infertility cause is unknown. In this situation, both male and female partners are contributing to this problem. And both need treatment in this scenario. So, it is important to identify the root cause behind it.
You can consult the best sexologist/urologist in Lahore through Marham. And get your treatment. Many infertility centers are also working in this domain. Now it is not difficult to get any treatment.
Marham is also providing an online consultation facility, where you can find and consult the best doctors in Pakistan through online video consultation. Marham’s official website and mobile app provide this facility. It’s a trustworthy method of consultation that is only a click away now. Your privacy is Marham’s priority as your information is highly confidential.