Black tea is one of the most popular teas in the world and is one of the most caffeinated, antioxidant, and flavonoid-rich beverages. With its strong, malty flavor, this beverage is excellent for a relaxing break or to start the day. It also has potential benefits for helping in weight loss. This tea modifies gut metabolites, which in turn affects liver metabolism and helps you to lose weight.
- Black tea is one of the most consumed types of tea worldwide, in addition to being one of the most caffeinated, antioxidant, and flavonoid-rich beverages.
- This tea is a prebiotic and alters gut metabolites, which influence liver metabolism and promotes weight loss.
- Having black tea in the morning after a night of sleep helps the body rehydrate. Therefore, taking it in the morning is preferred.
- Three to five cups of black tea per day are the recommended amount to consume to lose weight.
- In general, it is best to drink black tea after meals and snacks to aid in digestion.
- Black tea can be made using a very simple method.
- Moderate black tea consumption is typically safe for most people. However, drinking more than four or five cups of black tea per day may be harmful to your health.
- Even though black tea can be helpful for your weight loss objectives, we still appreciate it if you first seek the advice of a nutritionist.
This article discusses in detail whether is black tea good for weight loss or not, what is the best time to drink black tea and what can be its potential downsides.
About Black Tea
The leaves of a plant called Camellia sinensis are used to make black tea. According to research, it contains caffeine in addition to other stimulants and antioxidants.
Many individuals either drink it hot or in cold form. But before being chilled, it must always be steeped in hot water. The leaves of tea change from green to a dark brownish-black tint through a process known as oxidation.
The leaves get oxidized because they have been exposed to humid, oxygen-rich air. The degree of oxidation can be managed by tea makers.
Fully oxidized teas include black tea. The same plant yields green tea too but this is unoxidized. Sometimes, black tea extract is offered as a herbal supplement.
This dietary supplement may occasionally contain other kinds of herbs, vitamins, or minerals.
Have a look at WHY SHOULD YOU MAKE YOUR TEA BLACK?
1 Cup of Black Tea Contains
Let us tell you about the nutritional content of black tea.
- Calories – 2.4
- Carbohydrates – 0.4 grams
- Fiber – 0.1 grams
- Proteins – 0.1 grams
- Fats – 0.0. grams
Talk to a nutritionist to know more about the nutritional content of black tea.
Black Tea and Weight Loss – What Does Research Say?
Now, coming to the main focus of this article, either black tea is good for weight loss or not? Well, experts say that it is good for weight loss because of the following reasons.
1. Black tea is a prebiotic
According to a 2018 study in the European Journal of Nutrition, black tea acts as a prebiotic to enhance digestive functions.
The study was carried out by the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). Dr. Zhaoping Li and other UCLA Center for Human Nutrition academic members collaborated on the study with Susanne Henning, the lead author. The study’s focus was on how black tea affected mice used in experiments for weight gain.
The results showed that
- Mice were given a high-fat diet and tea extract gained the same amount of weight as mice being given a low-fat diet.
- Black tea enhanced Pseudobutyrivibrio, a beneficial gut bacteria, according to researchers.
- Additionally, the black tea mice had higher concentrations of short-chain fatty acids
- Black tea molecules are bigger than their counterparts and stay in the intestines for a longer period of time.
- The presence of black tea molecules in the intestines contributes to an increase in the number of beneficial bacteria in the gut microbiome and helps the liver tissues burn fat stores more effectively.
2. Black tea reduces your calorie intake
- According to dieticians, black tea has no calories by nature.
- Simply substituting tea for calorie-dense beverages like soda and juice might hasten weight loss.
- Having tea before or after a meal can also make you feel fuller more quickly.
- According to a 2013 study featured in the Australian Family Physician, 500 mL of water consumed 30 minutes before a meal can improve weight loss outcomes. So black tea, which has fewer calories than other options should be a more preferable option.
- Before each meal, sip one to two cups of black tea to boost weight loss.
You can ask a nutritionist to make a diet plan for you to achieve the goal of your weight loss plan.
3. Black tea boosts the metabolism
Among all teas, black tea often has the highest caffeine content. Black tea can range in caffeine content from 50 to 80 mg per cup.
According to multiple research, caffeine has been associated with;
- Boosting energy and speeding up metabolism
- Enhancing physical performance when exercising
- Promoting weight loss
- 50 mg of caffeine was the absolute least amount needed to raise the metabolic rate.
- Thermogenesis is the process by which caffeine causes an increase in body temperature and the burning of fat.
You should also read Black Tea Vs. Green Tea: Which One Is Better For Weight
4. Black tea works to improve fat distribution
- Flavonoids, a type of polyphenol, are abundantly present in black tea. These particular systems can aid in enhancing body composition and fat distribution.
- Black tea polyphenols were investigated for their impact on weight management in a 2013 study that was published in the medical journal Food & Function.
- 111 men and women who habitually drank tea participated in the study.
- The results showed a reduction in weight gain and a significantly smaller waist circumference in the participants in the black tea group division.
Is it Better to take Black Tea in the morning or at night?
- Black tea and breakfast get along well. After several hours of sleep, drinking black tea in the morning helps the body rehydrate. So it is preferable to take it in the morning.
- You may also drink it in between meals, as it also suppresses appetite and discourages snacking, which aids in weight loss.
- Black tea is very low in calories and salt, and hence, can be taken regularly.
Black tea may help you maintain a flat tummy because of its diuretic qualities. It can also be prepared without sugar, making it a natural, healthful beverage.
How much black tea should you drink a day to lose weight?
- Even though drinking black tea regularly has several health benefits for your body, it is still best to do so in moderation.
- The ideal amount of black tea to consume to lose weight is three to five cups.
- You can do this to aid in weight loss without endangering your health.
Can you drink black tea on an empty stomach for weight loss?
- You may take black tea on an empty stomach but depending on the type and quality of the tea, it could result in acidity too.
- Tea helps with digestion and stimulates metabolism, so it is generally preferable to drink it after meals and snacks to help with digestion.
How to prepare black tea for weight loss?
Here you go with one of the simplest methods to prepare black tea for yourself.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Let the water come to a rolling boil since black tea requires hotter water.
- Add some tea. To ‘agitate’ the tea leaves, pour some water over them.
- Brew and allow the tea to get infused into the water.
- Take the tea bag out and enjoy a warm cup of tasty tea.
You may add some lemons to it according to your taste buds.
What happens if you drink black tea every day?
For the majority of people, moderate black tea consumption is generally safe. But more than four or five cups of black tea each day can have negative health effects. That’s primarily due to adverse effects associated with caffeine.
The potential side effects of black tea when taken frequently in large doses include;
- Faster breathing
- Irregular heartbeat
- Increased urination
Black tea might be just as beneficial for weight loss as green tea. Combine tea with a nutritious diet and an exercise regimen that emphasizes adding lean body mass to maximize your results.
Not only does black tea taste good, but drinking it is good for your overall health. This is a delicious calorie-free substitute for water and sweetened beverages, which may boost your metabolism too.
Consult a Nutritionist for better advice
Despite the fact how beneficial black tea can be for your weight loss goals, still we would appreciate it if you take an expert’s advice before. They may tell you some better ways for managing your diet plan incorporating black tea.
Click here to book an appointment with one of the best nutritionists in your town.
1- Is black tea better hot or cold for weight loss?
It is advisable to make yourself a warm cup of tea rather than a cold one if weight loss is your ultimate goal. A warm beverage will always improve digestion and could hasten the breakdown of fat.
2- What happens if you drink black tea before bed?
Black tea consumption before bed increases the likelihood of having problems falling asleep for people who are highly sensitive to caffeine and may experience restlessness.
3- Is black tea healthier than water?
Tea is healthier for you than water, according to Dr. Carrie Ruxton, a public health nutritionist, because all water does is rehydrate you. But tea delivers antioxidants too along with hydration.