Diarrhea is one of the many common diseases of children. And it is one of the major causes of death in infants. According to the Center for Disease Control, Diarrhea kills 2,195 children every day—more than AIDS, malaria, and measles combined. Even though it is a treatable and avoidable ailment, still the mortality rate due to diarrhea is very high in children.
Diarrhea is a condition in which patients suffer from frequent and loose stools. The severity of diarrhea can be determined by the frequency of motions. The main complication due to diarrhea is dehydration. That may lead to serious health issues. If your child is showing symptoms of diarrhea, you should immediately consult the child specialist. You can consult the best pediatrician in Karachi through Marham.
Common symptoms of diarrhea in children
The most common symptoms that can be seen among the children and infants are;
- Watery stools
- Loss of appetite
- Mucus or pus in the stool
- Blood in stool
- Stomach pain
What are the causes of diarrhea?
The most common diarrhea is caused by a virus. But bacteria and parasites are also responsible for causing diarrhea.
Prevention of diarrhea among children
Proper handwashing, hygienic diet, sterilization of child’s feeding bottles, and utensils are some of the ways that help in the prevention of diarrhea.
Treatment of diarrhea
- Increase the fluid intake of your child. ORS (oral rehydration solution) is recommended for children of all ages. It helps in preventing dehydration
- Keep feeding (whether formula feeding or breastfeeding) you child
- If your child is taking a solid diet, ensure the maximum amount of fluid intake along with daily diet
- Introduce starchy foods like rice, bread, cereals, mashed potatoes, that can be easily digested.
- Avoid fruit juices like apple or grapes juice, as they make diarrhea worse
- Give probiotics to your child to ensure the availability of good bacteria in the gut
- Take precautions to avoid diaper rash
- Wash hands properly and maintains the hygiene of your child also
- For vomiting, give medicines prescribed by your doctor and try to control the vomiting as it increases the fluid loss.
Dehydration with diarrhea
With the frequent-loose stools, the body may undergo severe fluid loss and mineral depletion. This condition is known as dehydration. Moreover, vomiting can also cause dehydration. Children become dehydrated more easily than adults.
Symptoms of dehydration:
- Less urination
- Absence of tears
- More thirst
- Dry mouth and tongue
- Sunken eyes
- Faster heartbeat
- Pale skin
Dehydration is more common in weak children than in healthy ones. So, dehydration can be dangerous even fatal. You should immediately call your doctor or take your child to hospital emergency if symptoms of dehydration appear. And to ensure its prevention, give fluids in the proper amount to your child by mouth. In addition, in the case of vomiting, your child may need fluid infusions to balance fluid loss.
You can consult the best pediatrician in Karachi through Marham to ensure your child’s health.
And Marham is providing an online consultation facility, that is quite easy to access. You can visit the Marham official site or download the mobile app to find and book an online consultation with your doctor by sitting in your homes.