Table of Content
Are you in search of a diet plan that is good for your health? Have you heard about the term Keto-diet but still don’t know what exactly it is? Then your quest for your answer will end today, as I am going to tell you some important facts about the keto diet.
Keto is the short form used for a special type of diet plan that is known ketogenic diet. This diet plan includes very low carbs and high fat-containing foods. And it has a lot of health benefits. Many studies show that this diet plan can help you to lose weight and prevent many diseases.
The change in your diet plan from high carb intake to very low card intake and more fat consumption puts your body in a special type of process that is known as ketosis.
In this process, your body becomes active and burns fats more vigorously to gain energy. This diet plan also helps in turning fats into ketones that supply energy to the brain. Due to the low intake of carbs, a ketogenic diet helps in reducing 0blood sugar levels. And both processes give us health benefits.
Different Types Of Keto Diet:
- The standard ketogenic diet (SKD): This is a very low carb, moderate protein, and high-fat diet. It contains 70% fat, 20% protein, and only 10% carbs.
- Cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD): This diet includes periods of high-carb reseeds, such as 5 ketogenic days followed by 2 high carb days.
- Targeted ketogenic diet (TKD): This diet allows you to add carbs when you do workouts.
- High protein ketogenic diet: This is similar to a standard ketogenic diet, but includes more protein. It contains 60% fat, 35% protein, and 5% carbs.
The standard (SKD) version is the most researched and most recommended. Cyclic and targeted ketogenetic diets are more advanced types of diets.
Health Benefits Of Keto Diet:
- Keto diet helps in losing weight and lowers the risk for many diseases.
- The increased levels of ketones in your body help in lowering blood sugar levels and improves insulin sensitivity that may also play a key role.
- Keto diet is very helpful in people with type 2 diabetes and prediabetes conditions, as it increases insulin sensitivity and controls sugar levels by fat loss.
- By lowering the body fat levels, the keto diet helps in lowering the blood cholesterol levels and blood pressure.
- Health specialists are considering the keto diet as a treatment for cancer, as it may help in slowing tumor growth.
- Studies have also shown the benefits of the keto diet in patients with Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and epilepsy. The diet slows down the progression of these diseases.
- Keto diet is also beneficial for females with the polycystic ovarian syndrome, as it reduces insulin levels.
- This diet can also help in recovering from brain injuries.
Foods Included in Keto Diet:
- Meat: red meat, steak, sausage, chicken, and turkey
- Butter and cream: grass-fed butter and heavy cream
- Cheese: unprocessed cheeses like cheddar, goat, cream, blue, or mozzarella
- Nuts and seeds: almonds, flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, walnuts, etc.
- Healthy oils: coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, and avocado oil
- Avocados: Whole avocados or freshly made guacamole
- Fatty fish: salmon, mackerel, trout, and tuna
- Eggs: pastured or omega-3 whole eggs
- Low carb veggies: green veggies, onions, peppers, tomatoes, etc.
- Condiments: salt, pepper, herbs, and spices
How Does Ketosis Occur?
Burning fat seems like an easy way to lose weight. But preparing your liver to make ketone bodies is tricky. First it needs that you deprive yourself of carbohydrates, fewer than 20 to 50 grams of carbs per day consumption. It typically takes a few days to reach a state where fats starts burning i-e ketosis.
Apart from health benefits, the keto diet also has some risks for your health.
Risks Associated With Ketogenic Diet:
Here are some harmful effects of the keto diet;
- Nutrient deficiency; as you don’t consume many vegetables and fruits in this diet, your body may become deprived of many important vitamins and minerals.
- Liver problems may also associate with the keto diet. The diet may also make any existing liver conditions worse as so much fat to metabolize by the liver.
- Kidney problems may also develop by this diet as the kidneys deal with protein. And due to a high intake of protein, the kidney may get overloaded.
- Constipation is also one of the side effects of this diet plan. The keto diet is low in fibrous foods like grains and legumes.
Your health specialist can guide you better about the keto diet. That’s why never opt for any diet plan on your own. Rather discuss with the best dietitian in Karachi about the best diet plan that is suitable for you according to your physical health, age, and gender.
Book an appointment now, to answer all your queries. You can book an appointment with top psychologists in Pakistan through Marham by calling at Marham helpline: 0311-1222398 or by online appointment booking facility through the website or Marham mobile app.
Can’t Find The App?
Drop a review for us at Playstore if you’ve had a good experience!
Stay Home Stay Safe!