A kidney transplant is the best treatment option for many people living with chronic kidney disease. With a new working kidney, you don’t have to attend lengthy dialysis appointments and you can get back to your normal life if you want. However, a transplant is not a cure and it’s important for you to take care of many things after a kidney transplant. To stay healthy and avoid any further complications, you’ll still need to work harder than those who have their own healthy kidneys. So here are some health considerations for you that will help you to keep your new kidney healthy. For more guidance, you can get a consultation from the best Nephrologist in Karachi.
Don’ts For The Kidney Transplant Patients:
- Do not stop your medication; it is very much important for you. For your convenience, ask your transplant team to recommend you a pharmacy that will send all your monthly medications directly to your home. Make sure you keep them on time.
- Don’t ignore any signs of infection. If you experience a fever, cough, abdominal pain or any urinary symptoms then go and see your doctor straight away.
- Many medications will interact with your immunosuppressant, so don’t make mistakes with it. If you’re altering any medications or if you’re uncertain about your dosage then consult with your doctor first.
- Don’t get along with the people having infections. You have to be careful about this particularly early after transplant. So, try your best to avoid the company of people with infections, children with a runny nose, and people with a cough.
- Do not miss your appointments. Even if you feel perfectly fine it is important for you to follow up.
- Don’t ignore any advice given by your doctor.
- Don’t smoke.
- Don’t travel without appropriate precautions.
Do’s For the Kidney Transplant Patients:
- Do regular exercise; it enables a faster return to your routine activities and helps you maintain overall improved health.
- Take your prescribed medications daily.
- Eat a proper healthy diet. It is advisable to consult with the dietician, who can help you make the right heart-healthy food choices.
- Lose extra weight and avoid fad diets.
- If you feel anxiety and depression after a kidney transplant, discuss these issues with your doctor and get the treatment if needed.
- Control high cholesterol and blood lipids. You can consult with your doctor to help manage your cholesterol.
- You should check your blood pressure as directed by your transplant team. Take a low salt diet to control high blood pressure.
- If you have diabetes, work to keep it well-controlled.
See Also: 5 Best Nephrologists in Lahore
The surgery may only take a few hours but remember, a kidney transplant is an ongoing treatment. So, make the right choices to develop and live a healthy lifestyle. You can also consult with the best nephrologist to get more information.