Table of Content
It’s almost 1.5 years, and we are still fighting with the COVID-19 pandemic. Although the vaccine has come into the market and even third world countries are getting it, but still, the third wave of COVID-19 pandemic is in its full bloom. Millions of people have suffered from this deadly virus until now, and many have recovered from it successfully. But some people are still fighting with the long-term effects of COVID-19.
Coronavirus does not need any introduction now. A lot of literature and data is available about it. But long term-effects of COVID survivors are not discussed much. Obviously, health professionals are busy rescuing the new patients. But what the survivors have gone through, is not the main focus till now.
Some scientists have collected data and do research about the long-term effects of COVID-19 on society. Let’s discus one by one;
Long-Term Effects Of COVID-19 On Society:
The virus has a very serious and bad effect on societies as a long-term effect. The most traumatic thing is people are still dealing with the deaths of their loved ones. It’s so much pain for them to not come close to their loved ones when they are on the death bed. And even they can not perform the last rituals of them. So overall society is dealing with trauma, fear, anxiety, pain, and many other feelings at the same time. The bad impact of this pandemic on the economy is another thing. Overall, everyone is struggling with fear and anxiety. Living in quarantine or staying at home is not an easy task. It itself is a depressing thing to survive alone without any social activity. Although the online facilities and virtual meetings make things very easy for us, still humans are social animals and they need some outdoor activities and social meetups for their mental and physical health.
Long-Term Effects Of COVID-19 On Survivors’ Health:
If we talk about physical health, many problems have been reported by the survivors after recovering from the COVID-19 infection. Some of them are;
- Extreme Fatigue
- Joint pain
- A sore throat
- Difficulties swallowing
- Skin rashes
- A sensation of pins and needles
- A loss of taste and smell
- Muscle weakness
- A low-grade fever and intermittent fever
- Trouble concentrating and lapses in memory (like brain fog)
- Mood changes
- Trouble sleeping
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Heart palpitations
- The new onset of diabetes or high blood pressure
Usually, elderly patients and patients who already have chronic diseases suffer from serious symptoms. But some young adults also face these symptoms. These are the most common long-term effects of COVID-19.
COVID-19 And Organ Damage:
Apart from minor symptoms, serious organ damage has been also reported since the start of this pandemic.
- Heart: Serious lasting damage to heart muscles has been shown after the recovery from COVID-19, among patients on imaging tests, even in people who experienced only mild COVID-19 symptoms. And in the future, this may increase the risk of heart failure or other heart complications.
- Brain: COVID-19 can cause strokes, seizures, and Guillain-Barre syndrome (temporary paralysis) even among the young COVID-19 survivors. COVID-19 may also increase the risk of developing Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Lungs: The type of pneumonia often associated with COVID-19 can cause long-standing damage to the tiny air sacs (alveoli) in the lungs. These scars lead to long-term breathing problems. People also suffer from pulmonary fibrosis.
- Nervous System: According to research in April 2020, patients with severe COVID-19 were more likely to experience neurological problems, such as dizziness, nerve pain, and impaired consciousness.
- Digestive System: Survivors of COVID-19 also suffer from gastric ulcers and other stomach-related issues as reported by some patients.
The best way to avoid the long-term effects of COVID-19 is to prevent COVID-19 itself. Otherwise, it will definitely leave its marks on your physical and mental health. Following the SOPs and maintaining the social distancing is the only solution to survive this pandemic. And try to get yourself vaccinated as soon as possible.
You can consult the top general physicians of Pakistan through Marham.pk, for the treatment of COVID-19. And you can also discus in detail the after-effects of this viral disease with health professionals.
For a free consultation with the doctors, you can ask your questions on the Marham.pk Q/A forum.
If you don’t want to visit laboratories during this third wave of the pandemic, you can book your appointment with the labs online. For laboratory testing services, you can visit Marham.pk.
FAQs Related To Long-Term Effects Of COVID-19
- Does COVID-19 have any long-term effects?
Yes, COVID-19 has many long-term effects like organ damage in severe cases and mild symptoms like tiredness, depression, palpitations, intermittent fever, etc.
- How can COVID-19 infection affect your organs?
COVID-19 infection can damage your heart, brain, lungs, and can cause life-threatening situations like stroke, heart failure, etc in future
- What are the long-term effects of COVID-19 on society?
COVID-19 has a very traumatic effect on society. People are struggling with fear, anxiety, trauma, pain at the same time.