Losartan potassium 50mg, a film-coated tablet, is prescribed as a blood pressure-lowering medicine. It is prescribed as such or in combination with other drugs. There are different strengths available as well.
Losartan potassium is marketed under the brand name Cozaar, marketed by MERCK & CO, or Eziday marketed by WARRICK.
About Losartan Potassium
Losartan potassium belongs to the class of Angiotensin II receptor blockers drugs. It comes in the following strengths;
- Losartan potassium 12.5mg (1.06mg potassium)
- Losartan potassium 25mg (2.12mg potassium)
- Losartan potassium 50mg (4.24mg potassium)
- Losartan potassium 100mg (8.48mg potassium)
Angiotensin II is a vasoconstricting substance present in the body. It narrows the blood vessels thus, making the blood pass with difficulty and increasing its pressure. Losartan blocks the binding of this substance to its receptor, lowers blood pressure, and improves its flow. Potassium in losartan imparts blood pressure-lowering effects by releasing the tension in vessels and by restricting the amount of sodium in the blood, as an increase in potassium moves the sodium out.
What is the price range of Losartan?
Losartan potassium varies in price according to the manufacturer and the strength of the medicine. The average price range is 14-20 PKR per tablet.
Indications or Uses
Losartan potassium is prescribed for a number of conditions, including;
- To reduce the risk of stroke in patients with hypertension or left ventricular hypertrophy( thickening of the main pumping chamber of the heart
- Diabetic nephropathy (blood vessel damage to the heart due to type 2 diabetes)
How to use Losartan
- Losartan potassium is an oral film-coated tablet swallowed by mouth in adult patients with water.
- It can be taken with or without food.
- Do not chew the tablet.
- If the tablet is scored, you can break it.
Dosage of Losartan Potassium
The usual recommended dosage is 50mg or 100mg once or twice daily. Lower strengths are prescribed in case of reduced intravascular volume or in patients with liver impairment. The daily dose lies between 25-100mg daily. In some instances, the dose is titrated to achieve the targeted value.
The dose varies for specific age groups and patients with other underlying diseases or hepatic impairment. Please consult a doctor for accurate dosage and prescription for your condition.
Side effects of Losartan Potassium
The possible side effects of losartan include allergic reactions if the patient is sensitive to any component in the tablet.
Other possible side effects include;
- Feeling light-headed
- Joint or muscle weakness and pain
- Weight gain
- Feeling thirsty
- Reduced urination
Call your doctor immediately if you feel any of these severe side effects;
- Yellowing of eyes or skin
- Muscle cramps
- Liver pain
- Kidney disease
- Swelling in limbs
If any of these effects do not resolve on their own, call your doctor immediately.
Interactions of Losartan with other drugs
Inform your doctor priorly about any medicine you are taking before taking losartan. The possible drugs that may cause significant interactions include;
- Potassium supplements (can cause hyperkalemia)
- NSAIDs (Aspirin caused swelling of lips in a study)
- Other blood pressure-lowering drugs
- Losartan is not recommended for children <6 years
- Not recommended for hypersensitive patients with allergies (breathing problems, hives, throat swelling)
- In renal or hepatic impairment, low doses are recommended with caution
- Use with caution in patients with coronary heart diseases
- Use with caution in patients with electrolyte imbalance
- Do not use this drug for diabetics taking Aliskiren
Losartan potassium is in FDA pregnancy category D as there is evidence of fetal mortality and morbidity by using losartan in the second and third trimesters of pregnancy. For the first trimester, losartan is a category C drug.
Overdose of Losartan
Lethality was observed in mice due to the overdose of losartan. Evidence is rare showing the effects of an overdose of losartan. Possible overdose effects include;
- Tachycardia (increase in heart rate)
Missed dosage of Losartan
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If the time for the next dose is near, avoid taking two doses at a time. Skip the dose in this case and take the usual upcoming dose.
However, it is recommended to take the medicines at the prescribed time.
Alternatives of Losartan Potassium
The possible alternatives for losartan potassium include drugs belonging to the same class, i.e. angiotensin receptor blockers, like;
Storage of Losartan Potassium
- Keep the medicine out of the reach of children
- Store in a cool dry place
- Store it away from sunlight
Book your appointment with specialists by visiting Marham.pk or via app. You can also book your appointments by calling at 042-32591427 or 0311-1222398. There are no extra charges for booking through Marham.
1. What is Losartan potassium 50mg used for?
Losartan potassium is used to treat high blood pressure, prevent stroke in heart patients with high blood pressure, and protect against kidney damage due to diabetes.
2. What is the best time to take Losartan potassium?
Losartan is taken once or twice daily according to your condition and the strength prescribed. It can be taken at any time of the day but the first dose is usually recommended to take at bedtime as it may cause dizziness.
3. What are the side effects of Losartan potassium 50 mg?
The potential side effects of losartan include dizziness, confusion, weight gain, nausea, loss of appetite, and decreased urination.