Do you want to know about an inexpensive vegetable that can save you from so many chronic diseases and side by side provides you with extraordinary energy? Imagine you can get a lot of multivitamins and minerals with a single serving and with very few numbers of calories.
Do you want to include it in your daily meals? Just peel the onion, cut it into thin slices, and add it to your dinner plate. Yes! this is all you have to do for it. You can’t deny the benefits of this vegetable, especially onion benefits for men.
Onion belongs to the same genus to which garlic, shallots, leeks, and chives belong to i-e the genus allium. And all these vegetables have various vitamins, minerals, and potent plant chemicals that are beneficial for health in many ways. Especially onion benefits for men are more under consideration.
Here are the major advantages of onions that you can get by including them in your daily diet:
Onions as Anti-oxidant:
- They are a rich source of vitamin C, which is a potent antioxidant and helps in protecting your cells against damage caused by free radicals. That’s why it helps in slowing down the aging process.
- Antioxidants are compounds that slow down the oxidation process, which leads to cellular damage and contributes to diseases like diabetes, cancer, and heart disease.
- Vitamin C is also helpful in iron absorption and it’s a strong nutrient to enhance your immunity.
- Vitamin C is also helpful in tissue repair and collagen production. That’s why onions are beneficial for hair growth.
Onions for Your Heart:
- Onions are rich with minerals like potassium. That is helpful in many body functions like normal heart function, normal cellular function, fluid balance, nerve transmission, kidney function, and muscle contraction.
- Onions can control your cholesterol and triglycerides levels. That’s why they are good for your heart.
- They contain 25 different types of flavonoids antioxidants.
- Onions have antioxidant flavonoid, Quercetin, which is a potent anti-inflammatory and helpful in reducing blood pressure and other heart disease risk factors like blood clot formation.
- Red onions contain a special type of pigmented flavonoids known as anthocyanins, which are very beneficial for the heart’s health.
Onions as Anti-cancerous Agents:
- Anthocyanins are also helpful in protecting your body from certain types of cancers and diabetes.
- Onions like other allium-genus members (e.g. garlic) reduce the chances of the stomach and colorectal cancers.
- The antioxidant flavonoids and Sulfur-containing compounds present in these vegetables act as anti-cancerous agents.
- According to the researches, the onions contain onionin A, a sulfur-containing compound that has been shown to inhibit tumor development and slow the spread of ovarian and lung cancer.
- Fisetin and Quercetin, flavonoid antioxidants present in onions, may inhibit tumor growth according to the studies. If you want to get more proteins, check out our guide on benefits of roasted grams.
Onions and Diabetes:
- Sulfur compounds like Quercetin, present in onions, also have anti-diabetic properties. That’s why onions are good for controlling sugar levels in people with diabetes and prediabetes.
Onions for Bone Health:
- According to studies, onions are helpful in improving bone mineral density. As onions have antioxidant properties, they decrease bone loss, which may prevent osteoporosis and boost bone density.
Onions for Digestive Health:
- They are a rich source of fiber and prebiotics (they are non-digestible types of fiber that are broken down by beneficial gut bacteria)
Onion Benefits for Men:
Onions have a lot of health benefits for men but the most important is improving the sex life.
- Onions are one of the top aphrodisiac foods. They enhance testosterone production. That’s why they are very beneficial for men.
- Testosterone hormone is helpful in increasing sperm number, percentage of sperm quality, and enhance sperm motion.
- Higher levels of testosterone also increase sexual stamina.
- They also help in strengthening the reproductive organs.
Onions Benefits for Sex-life:
- Onions are helpful in enhancing libido in both men and women.
- They are helpful in enhancing sexual energy in men as they increase semen levels.
- Onions are helpful in treating men’s sexual dysfunctions like erectile dysfunction.
- They are acidic in nature that balances the fluids in the body to help prevent premature ejaculation
Memory and Onions:
- Onions help prevent memory loss and increase brain functioning. They contain certain minerals that repair brain tissues making it easy to process brain stimuli and restore memory.
Onion Benefits for Skin:
- Carotene present in onions is very beneficial for your skin
- Onions help you to get healthy and younger-looking skin. Their antioxidants, antibacterial, and antimicrobial components protect the skin as they help to reduce age wrinkles, reduce dark spots, treat acne, and can make your complexion fair.
Onions for Hair Growth:
- Onions have antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, that’s why onion juice is helpful in reducing dandruff and as a result, enhance hair growth
- They enhance collagen production that’s why beneficial for hair growth.
- Onions are a rich source of many minerals that are essential for hair growth.
Eating Raw Onions Daily:
Onions are a good source of multivitamins like Vitamin C and Vitamin B. On the other hand, they are rich in minerals like potassium, selenium, chromium, calcium, and phosphorous.
They are low in calories but a lot of health benefits when eaten in raw form. You can add them to your diet in a variety of ways. Raw onions can be added to your salad or eaten with vinegar dressing.
You can sauté the chopped onions and add them to your daily meals. Caramelized onions are also another option.
Red vs White Onion:
If you are thinking about which variety of onions has more health benefits, the answer is so simple, All of them. But the red onions are healthier as they have Anthocyanins flavonoids in them.
FAQs Related to Onions:
What is the best time to eat onion?
You can eat onion at any time of the day. As they are good for your sleep, you can eat them at night as well.
What are the benefits of eating raw onion?
Raw onions are full of minerals and vitamins. They help in controlling blood sugar, reducing the chances of cancers and heart diseases, beneficial for hair, skin, bones, immunity, and sexual life.
What are the benefits of onion for hair?
Onions increase hair growth as they enhance collagen production and inhibit dandruff.
So, in short, onions are like a full package. Onions use is common since ancient times due to its health benefits. And onion benefits for men cant be ignored.
They are not very expensive and easily available to everyone. You can eat them daily in sufficient amounts without any side effects other than bringing tears to your eyes while chopping them!