Dry Eye Syndrome is a common condition affecting millions, causing eye discomfort, irritation, and blurred vision. It occurs when the eyes can’t produce enough tears, leading to eye dryness and inflammation of the ocular surface. There are several causes of dry eye syndrome, including hormonal changes or aging, yet certain medications, especially the best drops for dry eyes, can help manage the eye condition.
- Dry eye symptoms can easily be dealt using eye drops.
- Eye solution alleviates dry eye symptoms, including itchiness, redness, and pain.
- Eye drops improve lubrication by providing hydration, thereby reducing the symptoms of dry eyes.
- Dry eye symptoms can be managed with eye drops
- Improving dry eye symptoms results in improved vision.
- Eye medication help decrease the symptoms such as eye pain and discomfort.
List of Best Eye Drops for Dry Eyes
Following are a few best eye drops that can help you ease the symptoms of dry and itchy eyes:
1. Systane Ultra Preservative-Free
Systane Ultra Preservative-Free eye drops contain polyethylene glycol 400 and propylene glycol, relieving burning or itchy eyes from dry eye symptoms. It adds volume to the tears by forming a protective gel, shielding the eyes against future dryness. The drops show no serious risk to the lens wearers. These drops provide a soothing impact on the dry eye for eight hours.
How to Use? Add one to two drops in the eyes or as needed
Systane Ultra Preservative-Free eye drops may show these side effects:
- Blurry vision
- Eye redness or discomfort
- Eye sensitivity to light
- Eyelid swelling and sticky eyelashes
- Watery eyes
2. Systane Complete Preservative-Free
Systane Complete Preservative Free Eye drops provide quick hydration lasting up to eight hours to dry eyes. These drops hydrate eyes for 8 hours and treat different types of dry eye conditions, including:
- When the eyes cannot make enough tears to maintain hydration.
- When tears evaporate too quickly from the eyes.
- When insufficient tears are produced and the tears evaporate excessively.
How to Use? Add 1 to 2 drops in the affected eye twice or thrice a day or as directed by an ophthalmologist.
Some potential side effects of systane complete preservative-free eye drops include:
- Pain in eyes
- Itching or swelling of the eye
- Throat irritation
- Severe dizziness
Also Read: Best eye drops for allergies
3. HydraSense Night Therapy
HydraSense Night Therapy, a liquid gel, is added to the eyes before sleep. Its dense consistency gives a moisturizing effect to the eyes during sleep. It contains sodium hyaluronate, which is naturally found in the eyes. This ingredient gives an anti-inflammatory effect to dry, itchy eyes. It also protects the eyes from excessive watering and light sensitivity. The impacts of these drops on dry eyes are long-lasting.
How to Use? Add 1 to 2 droplets in your eyes and close them for 1 minute until the drops disperse in your eyes.
Due to zero preservatives, HydraSense Night Therapy drops show no side effects. However, if you still experience itchiness, pain, or inflammation in the eyes after using these drops, stop using these drops and consult an experienced ophthalmologist at your earliest possible.
You can connect with a qualified ophthalmologist online at Marham.pk by calling our helpline at 042-32591427.
4. Refresh Optive Mega-3 Lubricant
Refresh Optive Mega-3 Lubricant treats eye dryness caused by meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD). It contains omega-3 fatty acids, which deal with dry eye symptoms. These drops also prevent blurred vision. However, these drops provide temporary relief to dry eye symptoms. Unlike a few other eye drops, you don’t need to shake the eye drops vial.
How to Use? Add 1 to 2 droplets in the eyes or as needed.
Also read: Home remedies for dry eyes: How to hydrate eyes naturally
Common side effects of these drops include:
- Mild to severe irritation or burning sensation in the eyes.
- Eye pain, leading to vision changes.
- Watery eyes or eyes become sensitive to light.
Also read: 10 Eye Mask for Sleeping Benefits You Must Know!
5. Blink-N-Clean Lens Drops
Contact lens wearers often complain about dry eye symptoms, as lenses divide the tear film, thinning the eye’s protective layer against foreign objects.
Blink-N-Clean Lens Drops encounter this situation by moisturizing the eyes. These drops remove protein or junk that may build up in your eyes and cause eye irritation. It is effective for only a few hours.
How to Use? Add 1-2 drops in each eye. Use three to four times a day.
Blink-N-Clean lens drops may have side effects, such as
- Stinging, burning, or itchiness
- Blurred vision
- Redness and excessive tears
Usually, these problems persist not so long, but if they continue, remove your lenses and contact a qualified ophthalmologist to avoid eye injury.
Benefits of Eye Drops for Dry Eyes
Eye drops can provide several benefits for dry eye symptoms, some of which are:
- Lubrication: Eye drops lubricates the surface of the eye, alleviating the discomfort caused by dryness, irritation, and inflammation in the eyes.
- Hydration: Eye drops hydrate eyes, reducing the sensation of dryness, itching, and burning in the eyes.
- Reduces Inflammation: Some eye drops also have anti-inflammatory properties, which reduce eye inflammation associated with dry eye symptoms.
- Improved Vision: By reducing dryness and providing moisture to the eyes, eye drops improve vision clarity and reduce the risks of blurred vision.
Thus, eye drops can be a convenient and effective solution for managing dry eye symptoms and maintaining the eye’s overall health. However, it is recommended to consult an experienced ophthalmologist before using any eye drops for dry eyes, as they may aggravate dry eye symptoms.
For this, you can have an online consultation with a highly-qualified ophthalmologist at Marham.pk by calling our helpline at 042-32591427.
Eye drops effectively deal with the symptoms of dry eyes, such as redness, itchiness, and eye fatigue. Eye drops lubricate the eyes by adding artificial tears, thickening tears, and decreasing tear evaporation, causing tears to stick to the eyes longer. Teardrops must not be taken daily for more than two weeks, as they may affect eye health.
i. How to get permanent relief from eye dryness?
While no permanent cure for dry eyes exists, you can manage your symptoms effectively. Incorporating omega-3 fatty acids into your diet, using artificial tears, taking screen breaks, and avoiding air conditioning or fans are all helpful steps. Your doctor may also recommend eye drops to alleviate dry eye symptoms.
ii. Is it safe to use eye drops daily for dry eyes?
It is generally safe to use eye drops daily for eye dryness as long as you use them according to the instructions provided by your doctor or the manufacturer. However, it’s important to consult your doctor before using any eye drops regularly to ensure they are appropriate for your eye condition.
iii. What is the main cause of dry eyes?
Dry eyes are caused by insufficient lubrication on the eye surface due to various factors including aging, medication, environmental conditions, and underlying health conditions.