Reading Time: 2 minutes
Table of Content
The hands you held while learning to walk and arms that swayed you to sleep are not that strong now and need your attention. Our elders often fail to communicate their health issues due to lack of knowledge about diseases and end up overlooked.
Elders are commonly seen to be affected with certain infections due to weakened immunity. UTI is a common finding in elderly as compared to younger adults. These are stressed because these infections are often misdiagnosed and left untreated.
Here’s a look at signs and symptoms of UTI’s in the elderly.
Sign and Symptoms of UTI in Elderly:
Interestingly, UTi’s in elderly are often confused with Dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. This is due to the inability of the immune system to generate a response to infection in form of fever. Read more about the connection between Dementia and UTI s in elderly here.
Other important symptoms to look for when it comes to UTI in elders are:
- Cloudy and dense urine
- Blood in urine
- Pelvic pressure
- Foul smelling urine
- Frequent urination
- Pain or burning sensation with urination
Treatment and Prevention of UTI’s:
Most common and effective remedy for UTI’s is antibiotics given either orally or IV. Once your urologist has confirmed diagnosis he will prescribe medication as required. Observing certain preventive measures can minimize the chances of UTI’s. Such as:
- Minimize or restrict the use of feminine hygiene products.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine.
- Take cranberry juice or supplements but with the informed consent of your physician. You can find and consult with the best urologist in Lahore at Masood Hospital via marham.pk.
- Stay hydrated.
- Take care of genital hygiene. If wearing adult diapers make sure to change these periodically and as required.
- Wear cotton undergarments.
- Females should always wipe from front to back.
- When using public restrooms practice caution and use sanitizer before and after using it.
Fast Facts about Urinary Tract Infections:
- UTI’s in adults do not exhibit hallmark sign of infection “FEVER”.
- UTI’s in elderly are often misdiagnosed and confused with mental ailments.
- People in old age are particularly susceptible to UTI’s.
- Healthy and hygienic practices are helpful to prevent UTI’s.
The following two tabs change content below.
She is pharmacist by profession and has worked with several health care setups.She began her career as health and lifestyle writer.She is adept in writing and editing informative articles for both consumer and scientific audiences,as well as patient education materials.
Latest posts by Sehrish (see all)
- Jaundice Treatment, Causes, Symptoms And Risks - May 11, 2021
- Stomach Ulcers 101; Causes, Diagnosis And Treatment - March 29, 2021
- 10 Common Diseases in Children A Parent Must Know About - March 24, 2021