Drug Allergy is an allergic reaction to medications. Any medication, prescription or herbal is capable of inducing a drug allergy. It is an abnormal reaction that occurs when your immune system overreacts to a harmless substance. Basically, your immune system helps protect you from the disease. But with a drug allergy, your immune system mistakes a medicine that enters your body for bacteria, virus, parasites or other harmful substance. You can always find and consult with the best general physician in Islamabad through Marham.pk.
Most Common Medications That Produce Allergic Reactions:
Although any medication can cause an allergic reaction, there are certain medications that are a more likely to produce allergic reactions than others.
- Antibiotics (such as penicillin)
- Monoclonal antibody therapy
Symptoms Of A Drug Allergy:
Most of the time, signs and symptoms of a drug allergy occur within an hour after taking medication. When you experience a drug allergy, you may have some or all these symptoms:
- Skin rash
- Hives (itchy, bumpy, irregular patches on the skin)
- Swollen face
- Swollen lips or tongue
- Coughing, wheezing, runny nose
- Trouble in breathing
- Nausea, vomiting
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of consciousness
- Irregular heartbeat
- Trouble speaking
- Itchy watery eyes
You can also book an online appointment with the best rehabilitation medicine doctor in Karachi through Marham.pk.
How to treat a drug allergy depends on your situation and how severe it is. Here are some tips for you to manage your condition until you get a professional medical help.
- Stop Taking The Medication: With an allergic reaction to a particular drug, it is important for you to avoid the drug entirely. Stop taking the medication and this may be enough to make symptoms go away if your case is not so severe.
- Take Cool Showers: control itching by taking cool showers. Also stay in a cool room and avoid exposure to the heat.
- Wear Loose Clothes: to make yourself better and comfortable, wear loose-fitted and lightweight clothes. You can also visit Marham.pk, where you can book an online appointment with the best internal medicine doctor in Lahore.
The chances of developing a drug allergy are higher when you take the medication frequently. However, if home treatment doesn’t help and symptoms get worse then immediately consult with a doctor. Your doctor may give you an alternative medicine.