Which fruit keeps the doctor away? Pineapple, Banana, Apricot, Watermelon? Ugh, so many wrong answers. Wait, “An apple keeps the doctor away”- is a famous proverb and the right answer.
The game ends here but this article aims to highlight the essential contribution of apples to our daily intake of fibers, micronutrients, and phytochemicals. Based on current scientific criteria, apples can indeed help to keep disease at bay.
Apples are consumed frequently in many countries, and apples and their constituents have been investigated in a series of studies for their potential health benefits.
Keep Nutritional Value in Your Mind
According to the Nutrient Publication Report, Apples are generally low in protein and lipids and relatively low in fiber. Most of them are cellulose (40%), hemicellulose (20%), lignin (15%), and pectin (10%).
Apples are relatively rich in sugars such as glucose, sucrose, and fructose, which are the main energy sources of apples. Like many other fruits, the mineral content is relatively low, with the exception of potassium.
A variety of acids, especially citric and malic acids, are important to balance the sugar content for proper taste, with a total content of about 500 mg/100 g.
The question is, “Peel or not to Peel”
Apples (and other fruits) are debatable whether they should be eaten with or without the peel. In fact, apple peels tend to accumulate higher concentrations of certain pesticides compared to apple flesh because of their direct contact with the environment due to their beeswax-like lipophilic consistency, according to a reported study.
On the other hand, because of their liphophilicity, phytosterols, like triterpenes, are found almost entirely in the apples. It makes the quote right, an apple a day keeps the doctor away.
Also, the polyphenol content is 4 to 10 times higher in the peel than in the pulp. Peeling removes 25% of the total apple phenol. This is partly due to the higher concentrations of red anthocyanins that add extra (along with carotenoids) to apple pigmentation and are located almost entirely in the skin. The peel may also contain 15% to 40% of total ascorbic acid.
Scientific Fact: Compared to whole apples, apple juice is lower in dietary fiber.
As stated Nutrition Journal 2004, Peeling also leads to a loss of provitamin entirely. Although carotenoids have a relatively low concentration in the peel, the dietary fiber content is also expressed by weight in the peel compared to about 40 μg/100 g for example, 10 mg/100 g in some leafy vegetables.
If this is higher, peeling can remove up to 50% of the fiber. The best solution in this regard is to choose organic apples and eat them with apple peel to ensure even more intake. ingredients beneficial to health.
Potential Health Beneficial Compounds in Apple Fruits
The following are those compounds present in apples that have been responsible to induce health benefits.
- Coumaric Acid
- Chlorogenic Acid
- Gallic Acid, And Phloridzin
Unhide the Health Benefits of Apple to Stay Away from Doctor
As part of a healthy diet and lifestyle, apples can really fight a number of diseases and help to keep you healthy and doctor-free.
Research has shown that diets rich in fresh fruits and vegetables can reduce the risk of numerous chronic diseases.
Apples, especially peel, are an excellent source of antioxidants. Antioxidants are believed to prevent damage to cells and tissues and help protect the body from cancer, cardiovascular disease, and possibly Alzheimer’s disease.
Apple varieties differ in antioxidant content. Red Delicious has one of the highest levels. In addition, the flavonoids with antioxidant properties found in apples are believed to protect the body against allergens and viral infections. Apples may also improve lung function, according to research.
In a French study, researchers investigated the relationship between apple consumption and stroke risk in more than 9,200 men and women. People who ate the most apples showed a lower risk of stroke over a 28-year period compared to those who ate the least. The researchers suggest that this benefit may come from “phytonutrients” found in apples, possibly including flavonoids.
Two other studies conducted in Finland showed that apple consumption may also reduce the risk of heart disease and lung cancer.