Your knees are largest and a very complicated joint in the body. Also, this is the joint which is involved in several movements from standing, sitting to walking, running and several others. This joint bears weight and rotates, twists, bends and straightens as well. This variety of motion and vast span of its action enhances the probability of injury, overuse, and knee pain. To find and consult the best orthopedic doctor in Lahore or any other main city of Pakistan visit marham.pk.
Here we are discussing some common causes of knee pain and exercises that can help to relieve knee pain. But please do not diagnose yourself on basis of any information. If you happen to suffer from knee pain visit your doctor so he can examine and establish a diagnosis. He will help you with a pain management plan and will identify the underlying cause.
Common Causes of Knee Pain:
Some of the common causes of knee pain are:
Injuries to the knee are a common cause of knee pain. This can be due to some accidental impact, sports, and excessive weight bearing as well. sports that can lead to acute knee injuries include football, hockey, and wrestling. Other games which involve sudden jerky movements can also contribute to knee injuries. To fix the problem of knee pain and heal injuries visit the best orthopedic physicians in Karachi . Now you can book an appointment online and avoid the hassle of waiting. All you have to do is to log on to Marham.pk and book your appointment in a matter of few clicks.
Other causes of knee injuries include overuse injuries. When you indulge in physical activities that you are not used to of these can lead to injuries. Small tears occur in the tendons of joints. If these are not allowed to heal via rest the situation aggravates. Allowing overuse injuries to heal before taking part in any demanding physical activities again is the only way to avoid overuse injuries.
Knee pain is also caused by a type of arthritis that affects the cartilage of joints. It is called osteoarthritis. People suffering from osteoarthritis may need to use pain relief medications regularly. This along with other means of pain relief can help to improve quality of life.
Some lifestyle modification can also help in the case of osteoarthritis. Exercise helps to maintain flexibility of muscles and strengthens joints. It aids in the reduction of stress on this joint as well.
A common cause of knee pain in youngsters is runner’s knee. Contrary to its name it is not found only in runners. Symptoms include diffused pain, pain behind the kneecap, difficulty in movement after a period of rest or activity like running or weightlifting.
Exercises for Knee Pain:
You may wonder that if it is safe for you to exercise now that you suffer from knee pain. This is what needs a green signal from your physician. If your doctor says yes you can start exercising. Beware that you have to start slowly and build up gradually. Exercise is the best way to strengthen your joints and keep these flexible.
Here are 7 exercises that you can do safely when you have knee pain.
Before You Exercise:
Any time you exercise especially if you have knee pain remember:
- A proper footwear is essential for any workout.
- Dress up in comfortable attire to achieve the maximum from your exercise.
- A good snack 60 minutes ahead of workout or a proper meal 90 minutes before exercising fuels you appropriately for the session.
- Staying hydrated is key.
- Always warm up before actual workout. You can ride a stationary bike, do wall push-ups or walk to warm yourself up.
Straight Leg Raises:
If you have knee pain safest moves include straight leg raises. It puts zero to little stress on your knee joint. Here is how you can do this exercise.
- Lie with straight back on your exercise mat.
- Bend one knee with your foot flat on the floor.
- Strengthen other le and raise it to the height of bent knee.
- Do it 10-15 times. 3 sets are enough.
This exercise focuses on your quadriceps. These are muscles present on the front on your thigh. It’s a great way to strengthen these muscles.
Hamstrings are muscles on the back of your thigh. This exercise strengthens these muscles. You can do it by standing and holding on to the back of a chair.
Gently bring your one leg up then repeat with other.
Once you are comfortable doing this you can add ankle weights as well. gradually increase from 1 to 3 or 5 pounds.
Prone Straight Leg Raises:
You can do this move by:
- Lying flat on your stomach.
- Tighten your hamstring and bottom muscles and lift one leg upward.
- Reaching your comfortable maximum level and holding 3-5 seconds.
- Do 10-15 reps each side.
Here also you can add weight as you build strength. If you feel any back pain or other issues stop and discuss with your doctor.
This is a form of squats with a bit of modification.
- Stand with your back against a wall.
- Feet should be shoulder-width apart.
- Slowly lower into sitting position.
Start gently. Increasing the time you had in sitting position slowly.
Avoid bending too deep.
Stand while holding on to a back of a chair or other sturdy support.
- Raise your heels as high as you can.
- Hold and then lower.
As you become comfortable to try to raise one leg and then lift the heel of other.
Three sets with 10-15 reps each are enough.
- Standing straight raise your one leg to a step bench or lowest step of the staircase.
- Keeping your pelvis balanced lower this foot to the ground level.
- Slightly touch the floor and bring it back to step bench or stair step.
At the gym, you can use the leg press machine. Sit comfortably adjusting the back. Keep your feet straight on the footplate. Push against the weight till your legs straighten.
Ask help from your trainer if you are using it for the first time.
When to Stop:
Remember any exercise should not cause you severe pain and discomfort. Soreness after a demanding workout is normal. If you feel exercise exacerbates your pain stop and visit your doctor. Alternatively, you can book an online consultation with the best orthopedic surgeons in Karachi using marham.pk.
Few Most Popular Orthopedic Doctors:
Latest posts by Sehrish (see all)
- Jaundice Treatment, Causes, Symptoms And Risks - May 11, 2021
- Stomach Ulcers 101; Causes, Diagnosis And Treatment - March 29, 2021
- 10 Common Diseases in Children A Parent Must Know About - March 24, 2021