About Novidat Tablet
Novidat is a ciprofloxacin antibiotic that belongs to the quinolone family of drugs. Novidat tablet is used to treat endocarditis, meningitis, H-pylori infections, typhoid fever, and other bacterial infections.
Novidat is a prescription medicine that works by preventing the development and growth of bacteria. The body is protected from the negative effects of germs when they do not multiply. However, Novidat only works against bacterial illnesses.
Manufacturer: SAMI pharmaceuticals (PVT) Ltd
Generic: Ciprofloxacin hydrochloride
Drug Class: Quinolone antibiotics
Uses of Novidat
The Novidat tablet uses include the treatment of;
- Urinary tract infections: Ciprofloxacin containing Novidat is used to treat UTIs caused by bacteria. The usual course of Novidat tablet for UTI is for 14 days. It is indicated to treat infections like pyelonephritis and cystitis.
- Meningitis: The inflammation of the brain is treated using a Novidat tablet. Ciprofloxacin crosses the blood-brain barrier to penetrate CSF. It restricts the growth of bacteria causing meningitis.
- Sinusitis: Novidat provides symptomatic relief from sinus infections. It reduces the risk of onset symptoms of a sinus infection as well.
- Skin infections: Novidat is effective and well-tolerated for treating cutaneous infections. The medicine responds well against E.coli, E.cloacae, and other bacteria affecting skin and skin structures. Impetigo is also treated by Novidat.
- Typhoid fever: Novidat is used in typhoid fever to limit the growth of bacteria causing the disease. It is a first-line treatment therapy for typhoid disease.
- Respiratory tract infections: The diseases affecting the upper and lower respiratory tract such as bronchitis, tonsillitis, and pharyngitis are treated with Novidat as a treatment of choice.
- Endocarditis: The invasion of bacteria in the bloodstream reaches the heart and causes severe infections. Novidat tablet is used in endocarditis when the first-line therapy does not respond or is not tolerated well.
Novidat tablet uses also involve the treatment of bacterial infections such as;
- Otitis media
- Community-acquired pneumonia
- H. Pylori infection
- Prosthetic joints infection
Novidat Dosage and Strength:
Novidat Tablet comes in a variety of strengths:
- Tablets in strengths of 250 mg and 500 mg.
- Dry powder for oral suspension in strengths of 125 mg and 250 mg.
- Injection solutions in strengths of 200 mg and 400 mg.
- Adults are often given daily dosages of 500 mg to 1000 mg.
What is the Price of Novidat in Pakistan?
In Pakistan, the Novidat tablet 250mg costs 18-20 PKR. The price of Novidat varies depending on the manufacturer and tablet strength.
How to take Novidat?
Novidat may be taken either with food or without food. But in order to prevent an upset stomach, it is advised to take the medication with food. Taking it on an empty stomach increases the risk of developing gastric ulcers.
Additionally, if you have any discomfort or nausea after taking Novidat, let your doctor or nurse know as it could be a sign of a gastric ulcer. To relieve pain, doctors may prescribe medications or switch the medication.
The tablet must not be chewed or crushed. Instead, consume it in its whole while sipping water to make swallowing easier. It’s crucial to adhere to the doctor’s recommendations and avoid adjusting the medication’s dosage on your own.
The dosage can be self-tweaked, but this can have unintended implications. Additionally, when advised by the doctor, patients should finish their antibiotic course. You can speak with your doctor before ceasing to take the medication. Please consult with a doctor or pharmacist.
Side Effects of Novidat
Novidat can protect against bacteria, however it also has certain unfavorable side effects. Among these negative impacts are:
- Abdominal pain
- Blood in stool
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Black stools
- Acid reflux
- Serum sickness
Risks and Warnings for Novidat
- Allergic reactions: Serious hypersensitivity reactions can occur in people allergic to ciprofloxacin. The anaphylactic reaction can be fatal. Initial signs of an allergy are skin rash and jaundice
- Liver diseases: Drugs are processed and eliminated through the liver, and any problems there cause drug buildup in the body, which has serious health effects. Discontinue Novidat immediately if signs of hepatitis occur.
- Heart diseases: Novidat can prolong the QT interval resulting in irregular heart rhythm and associated diseases.
- Nervous system disturbances: Novidat should be used cautiously in those who have depression or anxiety as the symptoms can get worse. The central nervous system defects also include seizures in a few people.
- Kidney diseases: Dose adjustment is required in people with reduced kidney functions. people with renal issues should inform of their underlying condition to the doctor.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Novidat is placed in pregnancy category C. No sufficient data is available on the effect of ciprofloxacin on a developing fetus. Unless specifically instructed otherwise by their doctor, pregnant women should not take Novidat.
Novidat is not recommended for use in lactating mothers as it may be secreted in breast milk. The doctor may recommend Novidat to breastfeeding mothers if the benefits outway the harmful effects.
- Store the medicine in a cool dry place
- Keep it out of the reach of children
- Store the medicine away from sunlight
Alternatives to Novidat in Pakistan
The alternatives for Novidat containing ciprofloxacin include;
- And Hiflox
Numerous bacterial illnesses can be treated with Novidat. But it’s crucial to only take medications as directed by your doctor. To prevent any difficulties later, you should also adhere to the prescribed intake rules.
1. Is the Novidat tablet used for fever?
Novidat is an antibiotic that is used for the relief of enteric fever. It is also used for the symptomatic treatment of bacterial infections.
2. What is ciprofloxacin 500mg used for?
It is used to “cure” bacterial infections such as pneumonia, skin, and bone infections, as well as chest infections. sexually transmissible diseases (STIs).
3. Is Cipro good for urinary tract infections?
Cipro is used for the treatment of UTIs. However, because of the possibility of major adverse effects, Cipro is not usually included in first-line therapy.