Book Video Consultation

Stay Home

No Waiting in lines

Audio/Video Call

PMC Verified Doctors

Talk to Dentist on Limited Jaw Opening After Wisdom Tooth Extraction

person-avatar

Asking For Self, Male, 25 Years old, Lahore

I had my lower left wisdom tooth extracted. It was horizontally impacted and there was infection as well. The dentist prescribed Danzen DS, Co-Purpal, Augmentin, and Riam for 5 days. I still have stitches (Silk 2/0). It’s 7th day post-surgery and I don’t have any pain, swelling or inflammation now. But my jaw has very limited opening. I have googled and from what I have learned, the condition is known as Trismus and resolves on its own after two weeks for some people. It is really limiting my masticatory abilities, and I want it to be resolved as soon as possible. How do I go about this situation? Do I need to take any muscle relaxants and do any stretches? Please provide me with effective remedies, apart from go and visit the denist, as I will do that. Thank you

Dentist in Peshawar - Dr. Yusaf Imran

Dr. Yusaf Imran - Dentist

BDS , MDS (Orthodontics) | Peshawar

review-stars

65 Positive Reviews

Effective remedies are given best face to face with the dentist . Visit a dentist for further clarification . ASAP

Dentist in Islamabad - Dr. Hafsah Saeed

Dr. Hafsah Saeed - Dentist

BDS, RDS, C-Endo Clear Path-Ortho (Restorative and Aesthetic Dentist) | Islamabad

review-stars

79 Positive Reviews

Has the swelling completely subsided?
Most likely its the stress your TMJ muscles suffered during extraction that is causing them to become spastic.
What you can do is A. Use warm packs on both sides about 3 times a day at least. B. Use muscle relaxants like Nuberol Forte 2 to 3 times a day. C. Following A and B do the mouth opening exercise using wooden sticks you can easily find them at the pharmacy. Youtube videos are available that can properly demo the technique for you. do it at least thrice a day and each day increase the number of sticks. It takes some time but you should InshAllah see improvement.
having said all that. u do need to vidit the dentist to have it diagnosed first.

Post Owner

Thank you for detailed reply. How long does it usually persist for? Two weeks, three weeks, or a month?

1 year ago

Orthodontist in Swabi - Dr. Bibi Aasma

Best reply

1 year ago

BDS, RDS, C-Endo Clear Path-Ortho (Restorative and Aesthetic Dentist) | Islamabad | Book Appointment

review-stars 79 Positive Reviews

it depends on how much you work on it. the exercise and warm packs. but can take up to 4 weeks to completely resolve

1 year ago

BDS, RDS, C-Endo Clear Path-Ortho (Restorative and Aesthetic Dentist) | Islamabad | Book Appointment

review-stars 79 Positive Reviews

thank you dr. bibi asma.

1 year ago

Dentist in Karachi - Assoc. Prof. Dr. Muhammad Ilyas

Assoc. Prof. Dr. Muhammad Ilyas - Dentist

BDS, FCPS (Oral & Maxillo-Facial Surgery) | Karachi

review-stars

76 Positive Reviews

That's the routine complication of this procedure.
the best is to wait for few days. but u can do hot fermentation on that facial region and use warm water with salt for gargles.

Dentist in Abbottabad - Dr. Junaid Ahmed

Dr. Junaid Ahmed - Dentist

BDS, MPhil (Dental Materials) | Abbottabad

review-stars

9 Positive Reviews

do no such thing until stitches are removed , ice stitches are removed it will start getting better and resolve on its own

Dentist in Rawalpindi - Dr. Amna Riaz

It's a regular complication. Do warm compresses, saline rinses and mouth opening exercise either with you finger and thumb( scissors technique) or use dental sticks.

Post Owner

can i do it with stitches or should I get them removed?

1 year ago

Dentist in Rawalpindi - Dr. Amna Riaz

Get them removed

1 year ago

Dentist in Islamabad - Dr. Salma Ali Khan

Dr. Salma Ali Khan - Dentist

BDS, Certificate in Aesthetics Dentitry (UK), Certificate Restorative Rentistry | Islamabad

review-stars

13 Positive Reviews

Yes dear your research is absolutely right . If you cannot wait to resolve on its own with time then take Tab Neurobion fort for 5 days 3 times a day n kindly donot force wait for stichrs to be removed

Dentist in Karachi - Dr. Muhammad Saifullah

If you have no pain or swelling, it will go on its own. Wait for stitches removal and do mouth opening exercise.

Dentist in Karachi - Dr. Sumaira Asghar

do stick exercise use 4-5 sticks at first after that increase the number of sticks daily. Sharing the link below:
https://youtu.be/fddFBDGTt3s

Dentist in Islamabad - Dr. Laraib Kibriya

Use warm compresses on both sides for atleast 5 minutes each thrice daily. use wooden sticks to open ur mouth. increase one stick daily. massage olive oil to that area in downward direction. it will subside in 2 weeks inshaAllah.

Dentist in Rawalpindi - Dr. Maria Imran

Usually, when there's impaction, limited mouth opening is a known complication following it. Just relax and give it time until your follow up. While you wait, you can try to keep your Temporomandibular joint relaxed by doing the warm compresses on both sides thrice daily, take muscle relaxant like neuberol forte or synflex 550mg twice daily and try not to clench your jaws in stress as this won't let the joint relax.

Dentist in Lahore - Asst. Prof. Dr. Ahmad Shamim Qureshi

Asst. Prof. Dr. Ahmad Shamim Qureshi - Dentist

BDS, MDS Orthodontists | Lahore

review-stars

8 Positive Reviews

Normal hot saline Gargles twice a day for 5 days.

Dentist in Karachi - Dr. Suraiya Hirani

Dr. Suraiya Hirani - Dentist

BDS, Master of Science in Dentistry | Karachi

This is a kind of complication usually arise after wisdom tooth extraction. It's all normal, don't worry it will resolve in 2 weeks on its own. Take warm water and add salt in it and do gargles from it and do hot compression on both sides twice a day. If you are having pain for something then you can take muscle relaxant (Tab Nuberol Fort twice a day for three days).

Dentist in Haripur - Dr. Yousaf Malik

Dr. Yousaf Malik - Dentist

BS Dental | Haripur

review-stars

2 Positive Reviews

It will take 10-15 days to resolve by its own.. u can take Tab. Synaxamox Extra (BD) for 5 days and hot iron towel therapy on extracted side of muscle

Post Owner

is it synaxamol extra?

1 year ago

Dentist in Haripur - Dr. Yousaf Malik
Dr. Yousaf Malik - Dentist

BS Dental | Haripur | Book Appointment

review-stars 2 Positive Reviews

Yes.. synaxamol extra

1 year ago

Dentist in Karachi - Dr. Osman Ahmed Soorma

Dr. Osman Ahmed Soorma - Dentist

BDS, Certification in Orthodontics, Certification in Implantology, Clear Path Orthodontics Certified | Karachi

Salaams
Usually it will heal within two weeks
Monitor it for 2 weeks
Apply hot compress for 1 week
Take Norflex 100 mg
(1+0+1)
For further details feel free to contact

Dentist in Lahore - Dr. Syeda Arij Hunain

Wait for two weeks, it will subside on its own. Meanwhile take muscle relaxant like neubrol forte. Also you should do heat compressions and warm oil massages for 10 min atleast thrice daily. You can start mouth opening exercises (specifically ice cream stick exercises), you can find them easily on YouTube. Otherwise no need to worry about.

Post Owner

Warm oil on cheek?

1 year ago

Dentist in Lahore - Dr. Syeda Arij Hunain

yes. take a few drops of warm oil in your hand and gently massage the whole area which you feel stiffened (from ear to lower jaw) for 10 minutes

1 year ago

Dentist in Islamabad - Dr. Abdul Azeem

you have to just relax and wait for it too heal and it should resolve on it's own if it persists another 7 days you should re visit your dentist

Attach Photo here:

Consult with Doctor Online

One-to-One Chat with Doctor

Don't like going to a Hospital?

Consult Online

Book Appointment

View All Categories (A-Z)

Get Appointment with Dentist

Find the Questions asked in Other Categories