Book Video Consultation

Stay Home

No Waiting in lines

Audio/Video Call

PMC Verified Doctors

Talk to Dentist on Orthodontics Braces Dentistry

person-avatar

Asking for Self, Female, 21 years old, Pakistan

Can a single lower incisor extraction during braces treatment change the shape of the jaw and chin? I've had braces for about 5.5 months for the treatment of my crossbite and I'm noticing that my jawline has changed. I had a single lower incisor extraction because I had crowding. My face is more narrow and looks V-shaped rather than square (which it used to be like). Can this be because of braces and the extraction that I had or is it because of the weight loss that I've had over the past few months? If it is because of braces, then how can I reverse this?

Dentist in Gujranwala - Dr. Amara Latif Bajwa

Dr. Amara Latif Bajwa - Dentist

BDS (KU) , C Implant (Germany), Dip. MID (Australia) | Gujranwala

review-stars

219 Positive Reviews

wts your age. mandible and maxillary the facial bones grow during puberty stage. and definitely face changes. wt loss also change overall look. having said this. the extraction of incisor ll shift midline
that can cause aesthetic problems

Post Owner

I am 21 years old

4 years ago

BDS (KU) , C Implant (Germany), Dip. MID (Australia) | Gujranwala | Book Appointment

review-stars 219 Positive Reviews

ok wt red. and growth changed ur looks.

4 years ago

Post Owner

Then braces and the extraction is not responsible for the change in my looks right?

4 years ago

BDS (KU) , C Implant (Germany), Dip. MID (Australia) | Gujranwala | Book Appointment

chk in mirror and if u want to be sure chk shape of lower arch. if arch z U SHAPED U SHOULD BE DEAD SURE ITS NOT UR BRACES. THOUGH IT WONT EFFECT UR FACE CUT.

4 years ago

its shape of ur mandible that z not changed by braces

4 years ago

Post Owner

Thank you so much Ma'am. One last question. My dentist also put a palatal wire when I got braces 5 months ago to de-rotate my molars. Do you think that a palatal wire can cause the face to become more narrow?

4 years ago

no dear

4 years ago

Post Owner

Okay thank you.

4 years ago

Dentist in Karachi - Dr. Mehreen Fatima

Dr. Mehreen Fatima - Dentist

BDS, RDS , Certificate of Orthodontics and C- Endodontics , C- Clear Path Orthodontic | Karachi

review-stars

2 Positive Reviews

no it is not because of lower single incisor extraction...

Post Owner

Thankyou.

4 years ago

Member of Marham-Forum

It's definitely because of the weight loss. I was gonna ask you if you've lost weight but you mentioned it tourself towards the end. Weight loss does affect the shape or the face cut. It gets more v shaped. Eat more and you'll get the rounded shape back!

Post Owner

But I never had a round face. It was more square. So can you please tell me if this can happen just by losing 5kgs? If so then It'll be a huge weight lifted off my shoulders knowing that its not because of braces. Thankyou for your time!

4 years ago

Post Owner

I had lost just 5kgs. Can face shape change because of such a small weight loss?

4 years ago

Dentist in Lahore - Dr. Rabia Ejaz Yousaf

Dr. Rabia Ejaz Yousaf - Dentist

BDS, MDS Operative Dentistry | Lahore

review-stars

8 Positive Reviews

aoa dear patient. braces change the shape of ur arch not ur face. it is because of ur weight loss . it will be reversed as u will gain weight

Post Owner

I have lost only 5kgs. Is it possible for face shape to change because of only 5kgs weight loss

4 years ago

Post Owner

My dentist also put a palatal wire when I got braces 5 months ago to de-rotate my molars. Do you think that a palatal wire can cause the face to become more narrow and V-shaped? Thank you for your time.

4 years ago

BDS, MDS Operative Dentistry | Lahore | Book Appointment

review-stars 8 Positive Reviews

yes fat loss can

4 years ago

BDS, MDS Operative Dentistry | Lahore | Book Appointment

review-stars 8 Positive Reviews

yes this procedure can do these changes on ur face. ask ur orthodontist as well

4 years ago

Dentist in Peshawar - Dr. Yusaf Imran

Dr. Yusaf Imran - Dentist

BDS , MDS (Orthodontics) | Peshawar

review-stars

64 Positive Reviews

Please visit for your extra oral examination or send us your before after pictures for detailed analysis . Yusaf Dental Practice

Attach Photo here:

Consult with Doctor Online

One-to-One Chat with Doctor

Don't like going to a Hospital?

Consult Online

Book Appointment

View All Categories (A-Z)

Get Appointment with Dentist

Find the Questions asked in Other Categories