Book Video Consultation

Stay Home

No Waiting in lines

Audio/Video Call

PMC Verified Doctors

Talk to Dentist on Orthodontics Braces Dentistry

person-avatar

Asking for Self, Female, 21 years old, Pakistan

I got braces and 1 lower incisor extraction 6 months ago. My dentist also put a palatal wire to derotate my molars. My face is more narrow and V-shaped now. It was square-shaped before. I also lost 5 kgs. Can the face shape change because of the extraction and the palatal wire? I am 21 years old.

Dentist in Islamabad - Dr. Quratulain

Dr. Quratulain - Dentist

BDS , MS. (Aesthetics Dentistry) | Islamabad

review-stars

25 Positive Reviews

I suggest you get a fresh opg done and take it to a good orthodontist along with your previous record for assessment of your facial symmetry

Dentist in Islamabad - Dr. Shamyla Sajjad

Dr. Shamyla Sajjad - Dentist

BDS, MCPS (Family Dentistry), C- Ortho, C- Implant, Fellowship in Laser Dentistry | Islamabad

review-stars

10 Positive Reviews

dear patient
its premature to expect the final profile. you must have discuss your expectations with your orthodontist at the start of your treatment. if he has planned it accordingly then nothing to worry about. but still you should discuss your concerns with your dentist.
best wishes😊

Post Owner

my orthodontist told me that facial profile is not affected because of the braces treatment and single incisor extraction. This is why I want to confirm here that if an incisor extraction and palatal wire can change face shape and make it narrow?

4 years ago

BDS, MCPS (Family Dentistry), C- Ortho, C- Implant, Fellowship in Laser Dentistry | Islamabad | Book Appointment

review-stars 10 Positive Reviews

in comprehensive orthodontic treatment, we have three components.
1- esthetics(appearence of teeth,teeth correction)
2- Facial profile
3- occlusion( interdigitation of upper and lower teeth )
i wonder what your orthodontist meant by facial profile? Moreover, at the start of treatment we assess the case and try to meet patients expectations not our expectations of ideal correction.

4 years ago

Post Owner

He told me that my face and jaw structure cannot change due to the treatment and that face cannot become V-shaped (from the square shape it was before)

4 years ago

BDS, MCPS (Family Dentistry), C- Ortho, C- Implant, Fellowship in Laser Dentistry | Islamabad | Book Appointment

review-stars 10 Positive Reviews

Its difficult to say anything here without assessing the whole case.we need proper records to re-evaluate the case. There is an other possibility your face looks thin after loosing 5 kg.

4 years ago

Dentist in Lahore - Dr. Farhat Amin

Dr. Farhat Amin - Dentist

BDS, FCPS (Orthodontics), MCPS (Oral Surgery) | Lahore

review-stars

44 Positive Reviews

It depends on the palatal appliance fabrication, fixation and activation technique. Clinical examination is more important in your case.

Attach Photo here:

Consult with Doctor Online

One-to-One Chat with Doctor

Don't like going to a Hospital?

Consult Online

Book Appointment

View All Categories (A-Z)

Get Appointment with Dentist

Find the Questions asked in Other Categories