Book Video Consultation

Stay Home

No Waiting in lines

Audio/Video Call

PMC Verified Doctors

Talk to Endocrinologist on Tests For Stress Hormones

person-avatar

Asking for Self, Male, 33 years old, Lahore

What blood tests are for Stress Hormones? I'm 33, patient of high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, insulin resistance, strong forceful heart-beat, anxiety/stress since age 14/15. Tests for Stress Hormones were never done. I watch a video of endocrinologists in which he says, in some people these may be high which can lead to above said problems. Please tell about blood tests name for Stress Hormones?

Endocrinologist in Abbottabad - Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed - Endocrinologist

MBBS, MRCP (UK) | Abbottabad

review-stars

79 Positive Reviews

Hi. There are mainly two stress harmons, adrenaline and cortisol in response to stress. Adrenaline increases your heart rate, elevates your blood pressure and boosts energy supplies. Cortisol, the primary stress hormone, increases sugars (glucose) in the bloodstream, enhances your brain's use of glucose and increases the availability of substances that repair tissues.

Cortisol also curbs functions that would be nonessential or detrimental in a fight-or-flight situation. It alters immune system responses and suppresses the digestive system, the reproductive system and growth processes. This complex natural alarm system also communicates with the brain regions that control mood, motivation and fear.Stress response is natural and temporary . But once the stress is chronic these harmons will be continuously increased. Harmons are due to stress so u need to manage stress once stress level goes down these harmons will go down. Please make an appointment for further details

Post Owner

thank you so much Dr Zulfiqar for your detailed reply.

I understood it completely.

In my case stress has always been an issue since childhood. I have moderate to severe social anxiety, generalized anxiety, IBS throughout my life.

I'll consult with psychotherapist for stress/anxiety management.

thank you so much for guidance.

4 years ago

Endocrinologist in Abbottabad - Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed
Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed - Endocrinologist

MBBS, MRCP (UK) | Abbottabad | Book Appointment

review-stars 79 Positive Reviews

Hi. There are many causes of acanthosis nigricans and one cause is insulin resistance but with insulin resistance there will be over weight or obesity triglycerides may be high HDL is low hyperglycemia or diabetes fatty liver and many more. So see what’s ur height weight waist circumference triglycerides and HDL lever fasting sugar post prandial sugar HBA1C. After which it can be decided if u need metformin pioglitazones. Glitazones are now a days not drug of choice because of their side effects. For your stress u should see an appropriate psychiatrist. Beside medication u need to change ur life style and there’s no alternative to that. Thanks

4 years ago

Member of Marham-Forum

you can go for cortisol levels....
it need two times of blood test...in the morning and in the evening..when cortisol levels are high...
secondly,if you have any kind of stress/anxiety/depression you can contact me,i do deal with such patients also

Post Owner

thanks for reply. Your profile isn't updated yet on marham.pk

4 years ago

yes you can check out after 2days

4 years ago

Post Owner

yes I've severe anxiety/stress issues since childhood like generalized anxiety, social anxiety, mild ocd usually self-talk in mind etc...

I'll check your profile, when it get updated.

4 years ago

Endocrinologist in Karachi - Prof. Dr. Muhammad Adnan Kanpurwala

Prof. Dr. Muhammad Adnan Kanpurwala - Endocrinologist

MBBS, M.Phil.. (Psychology) | Karachi

review-stars

58 Positive Reviews

dear concerned
see there is a probability that your stress hormones levels may be high but it's usually unlikely as that elevated levels brings other symptoms too which you are not complaining yet.
so now there are two inp things left.
one is to maintain your sugar, BP and cholesterol level and other is to manage stress.
stress could be manage by councelling and meds. consult a psychiatrist and psychologist for that. For other issues u may contact us or any of the physician whom u trust. don't worry, this is something which is manageable.
thanks
best regards

Post Owner

thanks Dr Adnan for detailed reply.

My sugar, BP and cholesterol levels are well within limits.
For stress/anxiety issue, would consult with psychiatrist and psychologist.

For insulin resistance/prediabetes I am given Metformin 1g twice a day.
I have learned on webMD Medscape etc... that Pioglitazone in low dose 7.5mg once a day is also & quite effective.

Can it be taken with Glucophage 1g BD for insulin resistance/prediabetes?

thanks

4 years ago

Endocrinologist in Karachi - Prof. Dr. Muhammad Adnan Kanpurwala
Prof. Dr. Muhammad Adnan Kanpurwala - Endocrinologist

MBBS, M.Phil.. (Psychology) | Karachi | Book Appointment

review-stars 58 Positive Reviews

Insulin resistance and pre diabetes are two different things. Dont mix them up..

4 years ago

Post Owner

Ok. Because I have acanthosis nigricans, dermatologist told me it is due to Insulin resistance, then he gave me Glucophage.

For insulin resistance, what is effective?
Can Pioglitazone in low dose be added with Glucophage? Is it effective?
Any other suggestions for insulin resistance.

thanks

4 years ago

Endocrinologist in Karachi - Dr. Faisal Ilyas

Dr. Faisal Ilyas - Endocrinologist

MBBS, Masters (Diabetologist/Endocrinologist) | Karachi

review-stars

15 Positive Reviews

DR FAISAL ILYASCONSULTANT DIABETOLOGIST & ENDOCRINOLOGISTTHE AGA KHAN UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL & THE INDUS HOSPITAL KARACHI EXPERIENCEDSpecial Interest:* Diabetes* Thyroid* Obesity* Blood Pressure* Cholesterol* Growth & Height* Prolactinoma* Male Infertility & Male Hormonal Disorders* Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)* Other Hormonal DisordersOPD DAYS & TIMINGS:ZAINAB PANJWANI HOSPITAL, NUMAAISH KARACHIFRIDAY 6:30 TO 8:00 PMSATURDAY 1:00 TO 2:30 PMSHAMSI HOSPITAL, WIRELESS GATE, OPPOSITE JINNAH INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, MALIRSATURDAY 8.30 TO 10 PMKHARADAR GENERAL HOSPITAL, KHARADARSATURDAY 3 TO 5 PMFAMILYCARE CLINIC, GULSHAN E JAMAL, OPPOSITE MILLENIUM MALLSATURDAY 6 TO 8 PMMUSLIM KHATRI CLINIC P.I.B COLONYFRIDAY 8 TO 10 PMCALL FOR APPOINTMENT 042-32591427,  (Only for Karachi)

Attach Photo here:

Consult with Doctor Online

One-to-One Chat with Doctor

Don't like going to a Hospital?

Consult Online

Book Appointment

View All Categories (A-Z)

Find the Questions asked in Other Categories