Book Video Consultation

Stay Home

No Waiting in lines

Audio/Video Call

PMC Verified Doctors

Talk to Endocrinologist on High Calcium

person-avatar

Asking for Self, Male, 27 years old, Sheikhupura

Plz tag any endocronologist. I took Vitamin D supplements 3 months ago. I took 3 Sunny D capsules containing 2 lack IU Vit D in one month. Immediately after taking the last capsule i got my vit D nd calcium tested. Vit D level were 78 mg/dl and calcium levels were 10.3 mg/dl i consulted a dr who said its ok just get tested again after some time and calcium will become normal. Now i got two calcium tests after 10 weeks of leaving vit d supplements and then again after 12 weeks. In the first test calcium levels were 9.7 and in the recent test levels are 9.9 mg/dl. I never took any calcium supplements nd in last three months i only used slight calcium in my diet. I am afraid of having hyperparathyroidism as i have read from google it says my calcium level should not go to 9.9 even though i am not taking too much calcium products. Please help. I have attached the reports. I have also attached my CBC reports. I read that dehydration can also cause a slight high calcium level. Plz check and

Endocrinologist in Abbottabad - Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed - Endocrinologist

MBBS, MRCP (UK) | Abbottabad

review-stars

79 Positive Reviews

Hi. Calcium is one if the important minerals in the body. It’s controlled by parathyroid harmon. I did not understand why u took such high doses of Vit D ? I think it may be due to that but there are many causes of high calcium like high parathyroid which is the most common cause of hypercalcemia, overactive parathyroid glands (hyperparathyroidism) can stem from a small, noncancerous (benign) tumor or enlargement of one or more of the four parathyroid glands.
Cancer. Lung cancer and breast cancer, as well as some cancers of the blood, can increase your risk of hypercalcemia. Spread of cancer (metastasis) to your bones also increases your risk.
Other diseases. Certain diseases, such as tuberculosis and sarcoidosis, can raise blood levels of vitamin D, which stimulates your digestive tract to absorb more calcium.
Hereditary factors. A rare genetic disorder known as familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia causes an increase of calcium in your blood because of faulty calcium receptors in your body. This condition doesn't cause symptoms or complications of hypercalcemia.
Immobility. People who have a condition that causes them to spend a lot of time sitting or lying down can develop hypercalcemia. Over time, bones that don't bear weight release calcium into the blood.
Severe dehydration. A common cause of mild or transient hypercalcemia is dehydration. Having less fluid in your blood causes a rise in calcium concentrations.
Medications. Certain drugs — such as lithium, which is used to treat bipolar disorder — might increase the release of parathyroid hormone.
Supplements. Taking excessive amounts of calcium or vitamin D supplements over time can raise calcium levels in your blood above normal.if u want to discuss more please make an appointment online with me. Thanks

Endocrinologist in Karachi - Prof. Dr. Muhammad Adnan Kanpurwala

Prof. Dr. Muhammad Adnan Kanpurwala - Endocrinologist

MBBS, M.Phil.. (Psychology) | Karachi

review-stars

58 Positive Reviews

Relax, its within the normal range. Since you have no active complain nor any abnormal lab so Nothing to worry about at the moment.

Endocrinologist in Karachi - Dr. Faisal Ilyas

Dr. Faisal Ilyas - Endocrinologist

MBBS, Masters (Diabetologist/Endocrinologist) | Karachi

review-stars

15 Positive Reviews

DR FAISAL ILYASCONSULTANT DIABETOLOGIST & ENDOCRINOLOGISTTHE AGA KHAN UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL & THE INDUS HOSPITAL KARACHI EXPERIENCEDSpecial Interest:* Diabetes* Thyroid* Obesity* Blood Pressure* Cholesterol* Growth & Height* Prolactinoma* Male Infertility & Male Hormonal Disorders* Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)* Other Hormonal DisordersOPD DAYS & TIMINGS:ZAINAB PANJWANI HOSPITAL, NUMAAISH KARACHIFRIDAY 6:30 TO 8:00 PMSATURDAY 1:00 TO 2:30 PMSHAMSI HOSPITAL, WIRELESS GATE, OPPOSITE JINNAH INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, MALIRSATURDAY 8.30 TO 10 PMKHARADAR GENERAL HOSPITAL, KHARADARSATURDAY 3 TO 5 PMFAMILYCARE CLINIC, GULSHAN E JAMAL, OPPOSITE MILLENIUM MALLSATURDAY 6 TO 8 PMMUSLIM KHATRI CLINIC P.I.B COLONYFRIDAY 8 TO 10 PMCALL FOR APPOINTMENT 042-32591427,  (Only for Karachi)

Attach Photo here:

Consult with Doctor Online

One-to-One Chat with Doctor

Don't like going to a Hospital?

Consult Online

Book Appointment

View All Categories (A-Z)

Find the Questions asked in Other Categories