When the cancerous cells grow inside the cells of the female breast this situation is called breast cancer. Breast cancer is cancer that forms in the breast. Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among women in the United States. Breast cancer can occur in men and women, but it is much more common in women. This situation may happen due to genetic factors or different environmental factors like radiation exposure or hormonal imbalance. Substantial support for breast cancer awareness and funding for research has helped advance the diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer. Survival rates for breast cancer have increased and the number of deaths associated with this disease is steadily decreasing. This is mainly due to factors such as the new personalized approach for the treatment and a better understanding of the disease.
It is manifested following signs
- Lump in the breast or in armpit
- Pain in the armpits or breast
- Redness of the breast skin
- Rash around or on one of the nipples
- Liquid or blood discharge from nipple
- Sunken or inverted nipple
- Sudden change in the size or shape of the breast
- Peeling or scaling of the skin on the breast or nipple
For treatment purposes the gynecological oncologist may take help from chemotherapy, radiotherapy or surgical excision.