Home Search Menu Profile

Book Video Consultation

Book Video Consultation

Stay Home

No Waiting in lines

Audio/Video Call

PMC Verified Doctors

Talk to Psychiatry on Should I See A Psychiatrist Or A Psychologist ?

person-avatar

Asking for Self, Male, 25 years old, Lahore

I know the difference between the two. I'm just having a hard time deciding which one to see.

I intend to avoid medicines (they make me anxious) and rely on therapy only. I'm under the impression that a psychiatrist is always gonna prescribe some medicines to reinforce the treatment. Moreover, I believe the sessions with a psychologist would be more thorough since he/she will be relying solely on therapy.

I'm not an open book and will most likely hold back. I expect the professional to dig up the information. Some of my problems are:

- Panic Attacks - Anxiety Attacks - Depression - Stress - Some phobias including agoraphobia. - Some physical health issues that are apparently a result of all this.

I'd like a professional opinion on which option is better in my case and please correct me if I've any misconceptions. Thank you.

Psychiatrist in Karachi - Dr. Faisal Mamsa

Dr. Faisal Mamsa - Psychiatrist

MBBS | Karachi

review-stars

6 Positive Reviews

I will be precise. Not all psychiatrist prescribe meds. There are some psychiatric illnesses for which the treatment of choice are medications. Psychotherapy really helps but yes, it’s prolong and does require completely opening up. At time the best option is combination on both medication and psychotherapy.

Psychiatrist in Lahore - Prof. Dr. Ismail Tariq

Prof. Dr. Ismail Tariq - Psychiatrist

MBBS, DPM, MCPS (PSYCHIATRY), FCPS (PSYCHIATRY) | Lahore

review-stars

321 Positive Reviews

Completely agree with dr faisal. However it is a team work. Psychiatrists is a team leader and he decides what is the diagnosis and what should be treatment. Therefore you should root from a psychiatrist and tell him your preferences

Psychiatrist in Lahore - Dr. Waqas Ahmed Sheikh

Dr. Waqas Ahmed Sheikh - Psychiatrist

MBBS, MMed (Psychiatry) | Lahore

review-stars

4 Positive Reviews

Psychiatrists dont always prescribe medication. u need to b properly assessed to see what r ur needs.its ur choice if u feel more comfortable seeing a psychologist u can see. otherwise i recommend a psychiatrist. regards

Psychiatrist in Karachi - Dr. Irsa Hyder Shaikh

Dr. Irsa Hyder Shaikh - Psychiatrist

MBBS, FCPS (Psychiatry) | Karachi

review-stars

123 Positive Reviews

The purpose of giving medicines is to Reduce the symptoms that any person is having to the degree that is affecting his or her life to a degree that his quality of life is reduced. Yes psychotherapy do work but only going to psychologist and not to psychiatrist will not be a good idea.

Psychiatrist in Larkana - Dr. Rahmat Ali Wagan

In your brain deficiancy of neurotransmitter serotonin. Which could be improved by taking new antidepressant vortioxtine. Safe drug

Psychiatrist in Lahore - Dr. Usman Amin Hotiana

Dr. Usman Amin Hotiana - Psychiatrist

MBBS, FCPS (Psych) | Lahore

review-stars

8 Positive Reviews

You have put a very common question extremely well. So congratulations. It seems you are quite psychological minded already. So the current issues need to be dissected down , preferably in one short one hour sitting.

All the above advice are true. Just book a session with Dr Ismail Tariq. He will chalk out your issues in one session. No medication .

Or any other nearby Psychiatrist will be okay too. I ve recommended Ismail as I have seen him work on the similar lines which you have wrote.

In case there is a strong reason to need it , he will communicate to you. Choice is always the patient. But he needs to be told what is needed.

Sometimes , its a must as otherwise there is loss of time , relationship and just poor quality health. Medications are not all bad. When one needs its after doing a cost benefit analysis.

Wishing good mental health.

Psychiatrist in Larkana - Dr. Rahmat Ali Wagan

Psychiatrist

Attach Photo here:

Consult with Doctor Online

One-to-One Chat with Doctor

Don't like going to a Hospital?

Consult Online

Book Appointment

View All Categories (A-Z)

Find the Questions asked in Other Categories