Book Video Consultation

Stay Home

No Waiting in lines

Audio/Video Call

PMC Verified Doctors

Talk to Pediatrician on Breast Feeding

person-avatar

Asking for Self, Female, 27 years old, Lahore

My baby is 7 days old masha allah n delivered via c section.. um struggling with breast feeding.. he feeds for whole 30 35 mins from both sides n sleeps but immediatly after 10 15 mints he cries again n demands more... n never feels full.. While if i give him top feed he takes 2 onz n sleeps peacefully for 2 3 hours... i want to shift him to breast feed completely.. but i think he remains hungry or whatso ever the reason is... he cries n doesnt sleep...

Member of Marham-Forum

you need to address the technique of breast feeding including how to position and hold the baby. keep trying but don't put him on TOp feeding. otherwise he will stop mother feed

Pediatrician in Lahore - Assoc. Prof. Dr. Alia Ahmad

Assoc. Prof. Dr. Alia Ahmad - Pediatrician

| MBBS | DCH | MRCPCH (UK) | FRCPCH (UK) | | Lahore

review-stars

125 Positive Reviews

Breast feeding is always on demand.
It takes few days to establish BF
Don't deprive him of BF for the sake of 2 hrs long sleep.
Once established it wouldn't be much problem
Be patient
Hopefully you would win
Keep formula milks away from him

Pediatrician in Lahore - Dr. Jamil Ahmad Khan

Dr. Jamil Ahmad Khan - Pediatrician

MBBS, MRCPCH (London), MRCP (Glasgow) | Lahore

Very interesting and a common scenario.
Mum feels baby doesn't get satisfied with breast milk as he keeps demanding it frequently. Mum starts baby on formula feed in hope of satisfying baby's feeding demand. Baby feeds and remains satisfied with formula milk for few hours. Mum is happy and gradually shifts baby from BF to formula feed ( Unlike you, who got concerned and wants to keep baby on BF; which is the right thing to do).
Now think about what's happening here. Breast milk is very easily digestible and has got a very short transit time in baby's gut. Most babies on BF almost immediately Poo after/during BF,which is an indication how quickly BF is digested and passes through baby's tummy. Hence, babies keep asking/feeding more frequently, giving a false impression to mum that they don't get satisfied.
On the other hand, formula milk takes lot longer to get digested and has a longer transit time in baby's tummy. Consequently, baby won't be hungry anytime sooner after taking formula feed,giving a false impression to mums that baby gets satisfied more with formula.
Advice: BF is far better than formula milk in terms of providing a healthy/soft/swift on tummy food for baby.
Continue BF baby on demand!

Post Owner

Thank u so much.. its really helpful ????

4 years ago

Attach Photo here:

Consult with Doctor Online

One-to-One Chat with Doctor

Don't like going to a Hospital?

Consult Online

Book Appointment

View All Categories (A-Z)

Get Appointment with Pediatrician

Find the Questions asked in Other Categories