Book Video Consultation

Stay Home

No Waiting in lines

Audio/Video Call

PMC Verified Doctors

Talk to Pediatrician on Nipple Confusion

person-avatar

Asking For Self, Female 27, Lahore

my 1 month old is on breast feeding 80% n 20% bottle feed. i was admitted in hosp due to some ailment for 2 days.. n my son was on bottle feed. now after 2 days he is not accepting mother feed. cries n cries n becomes so fussy. i have been offering him my feed everytime he feels hungry but he is totally not taking it.. what should b done in this case...

should i pump n give him in bottle or continue trying to feed him direct

Member of Marham-Forum

Thank you for posting your query.
We are sorry to hear about your problem. We have tagged relevant doctors for your problem. Please wait they will reply you soon.
Thank you.

Pediatrician in Lahore - Dr. Jamil Ahmad Khan

Dr. Jamil Ahmad Khan - Pediatrician

MBBS, MRCPCH (London), MRCP (Glasgow) | Lahore

Once baby is on bottle feed for a while, it gets difficult for him to start/continue BF. There are some simple logics behind this.

1- Bottle milk is easy flow with little effort. While BF means baby has to suck nipple, stimulate the let down reflex by sending signals to mum's brain which returns signal back to lactating ducts to start secreting milk. This whole process takes a while and stops if the baby stops sucking at the nipple. Consequently, babies find it easier to prefer bottle where no or little effort is with great reward.

2- Formula milks have sweeteners added to it, which enhances the taste while Breast Milk ( especially the first few days Colostrum) though very high in it's nutritional/immune value yet tastes disgusting.
So why would the baby wish to prefer disgusting BF over flavoured formula milk.

Moral : While it's hard to establish BF, Breast Milk is the best and ideal nutrition for your baby. Keep working on it and he will eventually start finding BF easier.

Post Owner

i prefer BF. but um a wokring mum. where new borns are not allowed. so for those 7-8 hours when i am away i have to give him bottle feed.
thank u for ur valuable time. its quite helping.

4 years ago

Attach Photo here:

Consult with Doctor Online

One-to-One Chat with Doctor

Don't like going to a Hospital?

Consult Online

Book Appointment

View All Categories (A-Z)

Get Appointment with Pediatrician

Find the Questions asked in Other Categories